X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure occurring windows

Hello,

This issue started happening right after upgrading to 13.10. When I start my system, I get a random number of windows (1 to 3) that begin to run the currently set screensaver. It's not a problem to simply close the windows, but I would truly prefer to just stop this from happening.
    BSIT Software Engineering
    " All the best people I know use Linux "

Have you accidentally added the screensaver to the autostart feature?
    System Settings/ Startup and Shutdown/ Autostart

Comment

Having the same problem here since upgrade to 13.10. My laptop has about 15 mini screen saver windows open at boot. My desktop only has two screen saver windows at boot. Can't find any auto start entries. Still digging...
      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Do you have Restore previous session checked in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management > On Login ?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just found this bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314859 Seems it is an old bug that just hit with 13.10 for some reason. The screen saver isn't being killed properly and restarted from the previous session. One of the temporary workarounds in that report works for me. Add
          Code:
          kblankscrn.kss
          to System Settings> Startup and Shutdown> Session Management> Aplications to be Excluded from Sessions, and hit apply.
          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Do you have Restore previous session checked in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management > On Login ?
            Restore previous session is checked by default. Never paid much attention. That might do it if kblankscrn.kss isn't stuck in memory. Would persistent apps like akregator and kmail still auto start to the tray if you started a new session each time? Will have to test.
            Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by 67GTA View Post
              Restore previous session is checked by default. Never paid much attention. That might do it if kblankscrn.kss isn't stuck in memory. Would persistent apps like akregator and kmail still auto start to the tray if you started a new session each time? Will have to test.
              only if they are set to auto start.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Just noticed that I only listed "kblankscreen.kss". I was using blank screen only. You will have to get the name of the windows that popup if you are using a different screen saver. Yeah, I like to auto start those two at boot. This workaround is okay in my situation.
                Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I was using the clock screen saver on the desktop, so I had to use "kclock.kss". If you don't auto start anything, Snowhog's suggestion should work. This seems to happen only with the legacy screen savers. The screen locker works fine.
                  Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    @Snowhog,

That was the ticket sir..Just switch that button from Restore previous session to Start with an empty session did the fix.

Thank you!
                    BSIT Software Engineering
                    " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

Working...
                    X