X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use tapatalk even if only the "view only" free version

About what the title says.

I've read various discussions about the cell phone app named "Tapatalk".

Also, I've seen quite a few posts with a sig along the general lines of "Posted from Tapatalk".

Although I live almost continually on a cell phone nowadays, I have never, much, felt the need to "post" from the phone, except to demonstrate that it can, indeed, be done, and that the forum software interacts well with the phone...........GOOD JOB ADMINS!!

However, I decided to install Tapatalk and it does, indeed, MORE QUICKLY AND CLEANLY, display posts on the forum, as opposed to the "desktop view" one gets on the internet.

The display is crisp and clean and reflects a lot of forethought by the developers of Tapatalk, my hat is tipped to them.

It renders the forum member's avatars very nicely and larger images, such as that of the "show your desktop" thread, display very well.

It also displays the number of posts in the thread, and the time since the last post.

The bottom of the window for a post also shows the sub-forum, such as "social casual talk".

All in all, very worthy of the praises that have been sung by others.

I will probably not be going to the paid version, at this stage of things, which would provide the capability of responding to a post, merely because I do not have the need.

If anyone else would care to post their experiences or indicate some important feature which I have omitted please do so!

woodsmoke

Thanks for the recommendation!

How does it compare to Firefox for Android?

I considered tapatalk, but then changed from using Chrome and the built-in AOSP browser to Firefox and was pleasantly surprised at how much better it was for viewing the forum.

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

tapatalk just is easier to use, generally speaking. Especially for posting/moderating tasks.

There is a mobile theme built in to KFN that presents the site in a much more phone-friendly fashion that might be worth checking out as well. There is no need to browse the forum on a mobile device using the full web page view unless one wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        tapatalk just is easier to use, generally speaking. Especially for posting/moderating tasks.

There is a mobile theme built in to KFN that presents the site in a much more phone-friendly fashion that might be worth checking out as well. There is no need to browse the forum on a mobile device using the full web page view unless one wants to.
        Yeah the mobile style in Firefox for Android is what I was talking about - for some reason it just looks better than it does in Chrome etc.

I'm tempted to try Tapatalk, but I'm aware that I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to my tablet - I try hard to only use free software on my laptop, but find it much easier to look the other way on Android for some reason.

There's no excuse really, it's still a computer.

The one non-free app I can't seem to kick is Google Maps

Feathers
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I can't add much to the previous discussion.

As to "non-free" it is intended to be used "for free" as a viewer.

One only pays for the ability to post.

woodsmoke

Comment

Free speech, not free beer!
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

lol,.....hic!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post

One only pays for the ability to post.

woodsmoke
                nope, not any longer.

look here

sent from my phone, as if anyone cares lol

Comment

@claydoh, The link you posted takes me to a blank page.
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Always consider Occam's Razor
                  Rich

Comment

claydoh:

WOAH!......I will now purchase it.

Not because I need it but because I want to support people who really are living the dream of Cathedral and Bazaar!

AND.............this! :0 :0

We will also be providing refund to any users who purchase the original version of Tapatalk after September 1st, 2013. If you are eligible, send us your purchase receipt / order number and we will schedule a refund for you on Google Play.
                    woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                    X