This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Center vs Moun ...

I'm going to install a few application on my system (Skype , VLC, etc. ) but I'm a bit confused with all the download options Kubuntu has to offer

Muon Sofware Center
    Muon Package Manager
    Ubuntu Software center

And for updates :

Muon Update Manager
    Update Manager

What is the difference between all these download centers and what is the best (and safest ) place to download an application.

I noticed that some applications are sometimes available only on one place for some reason.... what is the reason for that ?

IMO, do yourself a favor, and don't install/remove/purge any packages with the GUI package managers. Do it all from the console/terminal using apt-get install/remove/purge packagename.

I only use the GUI packagers to search for stuff. But, if you want to use the GUI, use Muon Package Manager.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

IMO the Muon package manager is the best of these choices , it will show all packages you search for ,,,,,,some times the "software center's " do not.

of course if you know the name of a package you want "sudo apt-get >package name<" is fine as well .

for updates I prefer to use the console and
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      the "dist-upgrade provides for the "smart" removing and adding of packages if a new ver. of something requires it , "upgrade" dose not , it only allows for updating of currently installed if no removing/adding is required

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

To clarify things and answer your questions, Muon basically has 3 components: the Muon Software Center, the Muon Package manager, and the Muon updater. usually, when you see simply "software center" this usually is referring to Ubuntu's program of that name.

These are just different gui interfaces for different tasks or situations. The Muon Software Center is the pretty, simpler interface for browsing, discovering, and installing software. I highlight discovering as that is something missing from the "advanced" managers, such as Muon Package Manager, Synaptic, Apper, and command line tools. Muon Software Center does not usually show command line tools, system libraries and other unseen core bits, as it is not geared to that end. It is geared toward finding gui stuff.

Muon Package Manager (as well as synaptic and Apper) is more advanced in that it manages all types of packages, and has useful filters to aid in managing software. It also exposes more configuration options to the user.

Muon Updater is a simple gui that regularly checks and notifies the user if there are any updates to install, and little else.

All the different tools out there are basically just different ways to interface with the same core tools used to manage packages and their dependencies. There really isn't one 'better" place to go.

I will go against the old-hand suggestions of using the command line to do package management, at least until one gets their feet wet. Maybe even up to the knees or wading in the shallow end. I'm sorry, but the terminal is scary up front. Not everyone wants to be the ubergeek mumbo-jumbo incantation typing overlord

If one is very new to linux, the Software Center is a fantastic way to see the wide range of things that are available to us in a fairly easy to use format, with ratings and screenshots. Then, if one wants, Muon Package Manager can bring more things to the table. it does so in a way that better highlights how programs are comprised of packages and may have dependencies on other required packages, introduces repositories to the conversation, etc. This I believe greatly lessens the foreignness of what is going on under the hood, should one wish to delve into the command line.

Heck yes, in my own opinion, managing one's packages is quicker and easier and more informative using the terminal. But one can only decide which fits them best by using different ones to see what they like best.

Comment

Personally I prefer Synaptic, and I have enabled the console output option, which shows you exactly what is doing at installation time (and you interact at console output window eg. answering Y or N for accepting or not if needed).
          I think is the best option for users coming from Windows where everything is GUI based, mixing GUI easy use with console power.

My next preference is Aptitude, which looks like console, but it's actually a GUI. Just it's ncurses (ASCII) based.
          Same philosophy as Synaptic. Older users who has experience with DOS or early Windows days, will find it easy (and powerful) to use.

Just my personal preferences.
          Linux is about choices after all.

PS. Muon is gerat! The only thing I want to see at future releases, is the console output option.
          Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
          nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
          eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

I forgot to ask about another source, the kde.org and the opendesktop.org.
            Are these websites completely safe ? and why some application can only be found on the site and not in the Software Center or Muon ?

I don't really understand what you mean when you say that it's easier to use the terminal to download applications. What could be more easy then clicking the INSTALL button in the Software Center ...?

And another thing, for some reason I couldn't find Skype in the Software Center and Muon. Is there a reason for that and should I just install it from their website ?

Comment

Share &amp; Trust

I forgot to ask about another source, the kde.org and the opendesktop.org.
              Are these websites completely safe ?...
              The kde.org is the KDE home page: http://www.kde.org/. The Kubuntu is using the KDE desktop.

The OpenDesktop.org has faq: http://opendesktop.org/ -> http://opendesktop.org/help/faq1.php?
              What is openDesktop.org?

openDesktop.org is a network of portals and community websites for open source and free software projects - it is a meeting point for both free software users and developers. Everyone can upload and download artwork, applications, documents and other files...
              The Faq has a list of the openDesktop.org network websites.

As everyone can upload there is a risk - an example: http://kde-apps.org/groups/?id=458

...and why some application can only be found on the site and not in the Software Center or Muon ?
              The package managers are showing available packages from the enabled repositories: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Packages need the packager who make the work and add the new package to the repositories: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages .

The Ubuntu Software Center has an option to buy commercial programs from the Ubuntu software store. The Muon has this as 'Upcoming Feature' : http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/

And another thing, for some reason I couldn't find Skype in the Software Center and Muon....
              Do you have the partner repositories enabled ?

- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu
              - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
              - http://askubuntu.com/questions/14629...ner-repository

:~$ apt-cache show skype
              Package: skype
              Priority: extra
              Section: net
              Installed-Size: 61
              Maintainer: Steve Langasek <***@***>
              Architecture: amd64
              Version: 4.2.0.11-0ubuntu0.12.04.2
              Depends: skype-bin
              Filename: pool/partner/s/skype/skype_4.2.0.11-0ubuntu0.12.04.2_amd64.deb

Description: client for Skype VOIP and instant messaging service
              Skype is software that enables the world's conversations. Millions of
              individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice calls,
              send instant messages and share files with other Skype users. Every day,
              people also use Skype to make low-cost calls to landlines and mobiles.
              * Make free Skype-to-Skype calls to anyone else, anywhere in the world.
              * Call to landlines and mobiles at great rates.
              * Group chat with up to 200 people or conference call with up to 25 others.
              * Free to download.
              Last edited by Rog132; Sep 30, 2013, 11:31 AM.
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks for your answer. That was very helpful. There are a few more things I would like to know though

1. I understand now that the OpenDesktop website can be unsafe at time, especially for newbies like me . But would it be right to say that if I stick to the most downloadable applications it will be safe enough since it's being checked by so many people ?

2. I changed the settings of the software sources to download "Software packaged by Canonical for their partners" and I've found Skype on the Muon Package Manager.
                I downloaded it and everything is fine but I'm wondering why I couldn't find it on the Muon Software Center ? The Muon Software Center is using the same sources settings, so how come Sykpe doesn't show up there as well ?

Another thing I would like to know is why these settings do not come with the default settings. If Canonical packages the applications, isn't it supposed to be safe ...

3. How do I get Software updates ? Does System updates include software update as well ?

4. I did a search for JDownloader on both Muon Software Center and Muon Package Manager and couldn't find it, so I looked on the JDownloader website and found instruction on how to download and update the program. Is it Okay to follow their instructions or is there a better/safer way to download this program (and Why it can't be found on the Muon Package Manager just like Skype ?)

https://launchpad.net/~jd-team/+archive/jdownloader
                Last edited by ronshor; Oct 19, 2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronshor View Post
                  Thanks for your answer. That was very helpful. There are a few more things I would like to know though

1. I understand now that the OpenDesktop website can be unsafe at time, especially for newbies like me . But would it be right to say that if I stick to the most downloadable applications it will be safe enough since it's being checked by so many people.
                  That is up to how safe you feel, you very probably are. Just don't assume that it is OK

2. I changed the settings of the software sources to download "Software packaged by Canonical for their partners" and I've found Skype on the Muon Package Manager.
                  I downloaded it and everything is fine but I'm wondering why I couldn't find it on the Muon Software Center ? The Muon Software Center is using the same sources settings, so how come Sykpe doesn't show up there as well ?
                  That I do not know, perhaps it had not yet downloaded all the extra data that it uses, such as reviews, images, etc.

Another thing I would like to know is why these settings does not come with the default settings. If Canonical packages the applications, isn't it supposed to be safe ...
                  This is more a political/philosophical thing, as the things in the Partner repo are NOT open source. There is no easy way to verify what Skype or Adobe actually do safe or sneaky-wise because there is no access to the source code, they (either the software creator themselves, or canonical - not 100% sure here- simply package the already-compiled binaries. The packages in the normal repos are actually compiled by ubuntu directly from the source code) As we are in the open source world, obtaining non-free programs must be by the user's own choice. While not everyone is 100% a purist on this subject, it is a decent, safe compromise I think.

3. How do I get Software updates ? Does System updates include software update as well ?
                  All software you install using a package manager will be updated as they are provided. You will get a notification whenever this happens.

4. I did a search for JDownloader on both Muon Software Center and Muon Package Manager and couldn't find it, so I looked on the JDownloader website and found instruction on how to download and update the program. Is it Okay to follow their instructions or is there a better/safer way to download this program (and Why it can't be found on the Muon Package Manager just like Skype ?)

https://launchpad.net/~jd-team/+archive/jdownloader
                  Software needs to be packaged, and despite the vast library of stuff we have, some things don't make it into the the pool that Debian and Ubuntu use. Some reasons are simply lack of interest/packager if the project is small or obscure. Another is, again free software licensing. Jdownloader may be mostly open-source but allows closed-source bits or add-ons. This might be why it is not in a normal repo. PPA's are an option that Ubuntu provides for anyone to package things, and is probably easier to use to get things to users, considering the nature of the program. I don't see Canonical approving such a thing for the partner repo.

Comment

Working...
                  X