Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 GiB on system partition after installation - Is that okay ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 GiB on system partition after installation - Is that okay ?

I installed Ubuntu-Kubuntu 12.04.02 not long ago and before installation I didn't format the disk (I had Ubuntu 11.10 on it and upgrade from a disk didn't work for some reason)

I created new partitions with GPARTED and then installed Ubuntu from a disk ( Kubuntu was installed right after with a terminal command)

I didn't install too many application so far and the system partition already have 8.42 Giga Bytes on it.

How is that possible ?
    The whole installation disk is about 800 Mega Bytes and Kubuntu probably adds about 300 Mega Bytes.

I was wondering if the files I had before (on Ubuntu 11.10 ) are still there and that's why the system partition is so big right now.

How is that possible ?
    The whole installation disk is about 800 Mega Bytes and Kubuntu probably adds about 300 Mega Bytes.
    The Debian packages are archives - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deb_(file_format)
    Debian packages are standard Unix ar archives that include two tar archives optionally compressed with gzip (zlib), Bzip2, lzma, or xz (lzma2)...
    When installed the archive is unpacked...

With the Dolphin the installed size is about 3 times the download size...

At here the Kubuntu 12.04.3 installation root '/' is using about 7.3G - If only selected KDE parts are installed then the root '/' is about 5G (MyBuntu KDE 12.10...13.10).

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

'MyBuntu - KDE' 13.10
    /dev/sda5 ext4 9.5G 5.3G 3.8G 59% /

Kubuntu 12.04.3
    /dev/sda7 ext4 9.5G 7.3G 1.8G 81% /media/rog132/BetaRoot

'MyBuntu - KDE' 13.04
    /dev/sda9 ext4 9.5G 4.9G 4.1G 55% /media/rog132/GammaRoot

'MyBuntu - KDE' 12.10
    /dev/sda11 ext4 9.5G 4.8G 4.3G 54% /media/rog132/DeltaRoot

FAQ: Free Disk Space: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ce-Regenerated

You could clean your installation:

Clean the kernels: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...grub-menu-list

Clean the package cache:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    man apt-get:
    clean
    clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It removes everything
    but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.
    When APT is used as a dselect(1) method, clean is run automatically. Those who do not
    use dselect will likely want to run apt-get clean from time to time to free up disk
    space.
    Clean the KDE cache - the KDE is caching like a mad - Icons, plasma wallpapers, themes...

The KDE cache: ~/.kde/cache-*** . It is a symlink to the /var/tmp/kdecache-<username>

It could be cleaned - the KDE will cache items again, when needed.

Last edited by Rog132; Sep 27, 2013, 10:30 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

How many kernels do you have installed?

Please Read Me

Comment

Updates, installation file/kernel decompression, apt cache (I save my installed packages, I'm not worried about space...yet, lol), etc, etc, it adds up. In comparison, MS and Apple's OS's have a large 'footprint' too, I hear actually larger. My system, with an average amount of software installed and a few personal files is about 10GB, that's fairly normal. I'm not sure if the reserved space, or even if it is reserved for trash, is included in that.

Edit: BleachBit is a helpful tool to trim excess 'fat' but please be careful with it, only select what you know for a fact you want 'cleaned'. I use Synaptic so if I wanted to, I could opt to not save installation package files, I am sure there is a code for that (I have no clue what it is) if you don't or a setting in Muon.
        Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 28, 2013, 04:05 AM. Reason: Added some ideas

Comment

Working...
        X