This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get DeVeDe to work

I'm probably doing something stupid.................

I have a film in .mkv format. I want to convert it to .iso (using DeVeDe) then burn to a DVD (using K3B).

In DeVeDe, I specify the name of the DVD, and the file that contains the .mkv image. Hit "forward" and it asks for a folder to put the image in. But, it won't accept any folder in any partition I suggest - the only option it gives me is "return" to the previous stage.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

what happens if you just go with the default choice of the place to put the image (this will be in your /home/you) ?

AND you may not have set up every thing in the first few steps ..

when you open DeVeDe chose the top option ,,, in the window that pops open in the "files"pane click add , in the new window that opens the top choice is "file" click that bar and navigate to the .mkv your after and click it and select open ........now click ok in the file property’s window (or muck around with the advanced settings if you wish) back in the "unsaved disk structure window click property’s in the tital pane and rename titall -1 to your movie and click ok ,,,, you can now click the "preview menu" button to see how your menu will look or "menu options" to customize it .
    click forward and just hit ok the .iso will be in your /home when it finally gets done .

if you go to the menu item "edit" >preferences you can tell DeVeDe to use FFMPEG instead of mencoder (I seam to get better results from ffmpeg) and their is a button for multicore CPU optimizations it will encode faster but runs the temp up @hear

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, VINNY.

I did exactly as you said (including the FFMPEG and multicore bit) and it works perfectly now. It's still not fast, but I'll just remember to set it running overnight.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jollyjack View Post
        Thanks, VINNY.

I did exactly as you said (including the FFMPEG and multicore bit) and it works perfectly now. It's still not fast, but I'll just remember to set it running overnight.

Cheers
        you are welcome ,,

it is not fast (about an hour and a half to two hour's for a average movie @hear) but it dose do a good job of it.
        I will usually take a snapshot from the .mkv , .avi , .whatever with VLC and use that snapshot as the menu background and some times a snippet of sound track as well (croped out with Audacity) if I am feeling froggy

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

DVDStyler is better (IMHO), and I create a folder with the show/movie's name first, usually on the 'Desktop', then select it when it comes time to give the program a place to write the finished ISO to. That's strange, some of your stuff seems locked down by permissions.

Edit: My bad, I didn't notice Vinny solved this for you by the time I posted, you might want to mark it solved.
          Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 21, 2013, 01:25 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            it is not fast (about an hour and a half to two hour's for a average movie @hear)
            Huh? DVDStyler (on my machine), average 90 minute movie mkv, avi, mp4, etc, 8MB/sec frame/data rate, 16:9/720p = approximately 30 minutes 'processing' (not including the K3b burn to optical disk), from the time I click start transcoding (or the Burn button, same thing the way I have it set up) to the finish of it writing the new ISO to my SSDs. I am not trying to talk anybody in to using DVDStyler, just sharing my experience, but then again, my machine/OS loves it, eats if for breakfast.

FYI jollyjack, DeVeDe is a clunky old program left over from ancient gnome days, where as DVDStyler is a slick and more modern cross-platform application, as a matter of fact, Distrowatch awarded the project money.
            Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 21, 2013, 02:42 AM.

Comment

VINNY, that's much too sophisticated for me. Apart from making the DVD, I have to juggle with sound levels and inputs for the TV (two digi boxes and a DVD player are plugged into it, so I need three remotes for all that). Just getting the DVD to play is a success!

Cheers
              Last edited by jollyjack; Sep 21, 2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer tek_heretik.

DeVeDe may be old, but it works, and I know what to do with it (now). However, I'll download DVDStyler and see how I get on with it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                  Huh? DVDStyler (on my machine), average 90 minute movie mkv, avi, mp4, etc, 8MB/sec frame/data rate, 16:9/720p = approximately 30 minutes 'processing'
                  I use the dual pass encoding option but no multicore CPU optimizations AND you have a much beefy-er box than me ,,,,,,,,so it should be faster at it

but I will look at DVDStyler just the same .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    I use the dual pass encoding option but no multicore CPU optimizations AND you have a much beefy-er box than me ,,,,,,,,so it should be faster at it

but I will look at DVDStyler just the same .

VINNY
                    Yep, each of my 4 cores churgle along at about 70% each while transcoding, which does leave me enough headroom for farting around with other minor things like browsing. I like it, I'm not complaining, it's way better than being a slave to Microslop.

Edit: 56 minute TV show, 16:9/720p, 8MB/sec, 13 minutes transcode to ISO file with DVDStyler, sweet.
                    Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 24, 2013, 04:03 PM. Reason: Added brag, lol

Comment

Working...
                    X