This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lock/hide a private folder

I was just wondering what is the best way to hide / lock a folder.

Something simple that even if you forget the passwork somehow, you can always get in on safe mode or something.

When I used windows I had a simple application to do it but eventually I came to the conclusion that the best way is just to define the fokder as hidden and then change the "Show hidden files and filders" option to your needs from time to time

How can I define a folder as hidden on kubuntu ?
    And where do I change the settings of "Show hidden files and folders"

With Dolphin open, use Ctrl + M to show/hide the menu bar. Then you can go to "View" and set folder attributes. Dolphin has tons of settings to play with. To create a hidden folder, just add a period in front of the folder name. If you wanted to hide an existing folder, just rename it and add a period at the beginning of the folder name. A folder named
    Code:
    Foo
    would be hidden if you changed it to
    Code:
    .Foo
    I forgot to mention that showing/hiding hidden folders was super easy with "Alt + ."
    Last edited by 67GTA; Sep 15, 2013, 04:32 AM.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

It seems very nice and easy to use. Thanks !

I've also checked the Nautilus file manager and there you need to use ctrl+H to show /hide hidden files.

What about Gwenview ? Is there a way to show the hidden folder in the tree view on the side bar ?

And another thing, just in case I might change my mind and decide that I want an application that actually lock the private folder with a password. Is there something like that for kubuntu ?

Comment

I have never used Gwenview, so can't help with that. I always browse/edit pictures Dolphin/Digikam. I have used Truecrypt to lock down folders before. There are several suggestions in this thread:http://askubuntu.com/questions/10454...vidual-folders
        Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

For a proper encryption solution I can highly recommend encfs with http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=57086

I use it. It's easy and fairly fool proof.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            For a proper encryption solution I can highly recommend encfs with http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=57086

I use it. It's easy and fairly fool proof.
            O my .... that is nice and easy .

just tested it out and it works well @ hear on 12.10 KDE-4.11.00

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have just found a querk with it however ,,,,,,,,, if I use the sevice menu to chose an existing DIR that contains data , it will pop up a dialog that seas somthing like "this directory dose not seem to be encrypted , do you wish to encript it" click yes and it asks for a paraphrase and opens the DIR encrypted .....but not the data that was in it ,,,,,,if you add new data wile ithe DIR is opened encrypted that data will be encrypted ,,,,,,but the old data can still be accessed by just opening the original DIR where you will also see the encrypted data you added .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                I have just found a querk with it however ,,,,,,,,, if I use the sevice menu to chose an existing DIR that contains data , it will pop up a dialog that seas somthing like "this directory dose not seem to be encrypted , do you wish to encript it" click yes and it asks for a paraphrase and opens the DIR encrypted .....but not the data that was in it ,,,,,,if you add new data wile ithe DIR is opened encrypted that data will be encrypted ,,,,,,but the old data can still be accessed by just opening the original DIR where you will also see the encrypted data you added .

VINNY
                Ah yes, well it's because even when the directory is encrypted, it's actually possible to have encrypted and unencrypted data together. So although it seems quirky I don't think it's an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  Ah yes, well it's because even when the directory is encrypted, it's actually possible to have encrypted and unencrypted data together. So although it seems quirky I don't think it's an issue.
                  agreed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just caught me off guard .
                  one can easily see what’s encrypted or not

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Okay, after reading a little bit, it seems that the best way for me to Lock a folder is to use the Ownership / permission settings of the folder properties.

How do I switch user to a guest user on Kubutu ?
                    On Ubuntu I had an option to switch to a guest user on the welcome screen.
                    For some reason I can't find that option on Kubuntu

And another question, just out of curiosity... when one use encryption on his system. do the files get opened at the same speed ?
                    does it slow down the files in the encrypted folder ?

Comment

For real security of a folder create it on an encrypted USB stick. Plug in the stick and enter the password when you need to add or remove files or folders. Lock it in your safe, or hide it some place, when your computer is off.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I realize that the best way to protect private stuff is by encryption, but My private files doesn't need that kind of protections.
                        I came to the conclusion that for my basic needs a simple adjustment of the permission / ownership settings of the folder will do the job just fine.

But for some reason I can't find the option to log in as a guest (something that exists on Ubuntu login screen )

Does anybody here know how to log in as a guest user on Kubuntu ?
                        Last edited by ronshor; Sep 27, 2013, 04:32 AM.

Comment

You can try to create a user named guest in the nogroup group (guest:nogroup). Or the more popular nobody:nogroup. I had read that groupnamess that match usernames is a bad thing (prolly from some samba forum somewhere), but I couldn't tell you why at this time. That would make guest:guest bad. And you prolly don't want it to be in your 'user' group unless you chmod the groups to '0' (example: 0700).
                          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

What is this nogroup and why does the guest user should be in that group ?

Comment

Have you checked System Settings, Login?

In LightDM, and I believe KDM, there is a checkbox for "Allow guest login".

Comment

Working...
                              X