This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel sources not found?

I tried to install a patch for my DSL modem ,I didi a ./configure and some make and make install orders and "Kernel sources cannot be found!" came out!
    I dont know what kernel sources are,I dont know where to find them either!! ?

Re: kernel sources not found?

Hi,

In fact, you will need to install them it's linux-headers-<yourversion>
    As you have no DSL modem, I don't know but maybe you can find them on the alternate cd.

Good luck

Comment

What exactly are headers?And the alternate CD?The installation CD of my DSL modem has instructions for its installation in Fedora,SUSE,Mandriva...I followed them and that problem came up..

Comment

linux-headers are files that you need installed when compiling modules for the kernel. Without them, you can't compile/install modules.

The alternate CD is the full blown installer version of Kubuntu. The 'Desktop' version is the Live CD, 'Server' is the server version that contains only server stuff(no X).

Comment

Where can I find linux headers?In the installation CD>(I have kubuntu 6.06)

Comment

If you have internet, you should find them with adept, apt-get or aptitude.
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            apt-cache search linux-headers
            sudo apt-get install <your_version>
            to get the version of kernel you're running, type uname -a, it should be written linux-image...

If not, you will need to download the alternate cd.

Good luck

Comment

Where can I download the alternate CD?I need the kernel sources so as to install my DSL modem..

Comment

You should go here http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php , choose the closest country, then you will be able to choose between desktop cd and alternate cd.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X