This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Settings

I have Kubuntu 12.04 w/ KDE 4.8.5. When I change power options in system settings to run like a pc, my computer does what I tell it to. My monitor stays on. Then I do a sudo apt-get update, the settings revert back again. I have an XPS M1530 LAPTOP, 5OOG 7200 RPM HDD, 4G RAM, Nvidia 86ooGT. I tried to upgrade KDE... screwes everything up and have to start again (reinstall root partition). Tried it three times. I usualy just dim the display at night with Fn+down arrow. I don't like my screen shutting off. Do I have to change this setting after an apt-get update everytime? Any answers? Thanks.

Have you had a look in your BIOS, there might be some setting overruling the OS.

Comment

The settings issue started with this ver. of linux. I used to have opensuse 12.3. Used KDE in that as well. Tried Mint 13 and 15, Mageia, and Rosa,. I've come to like this ver. the most. Sorry about the rambling. To answer your question... there's nothing in BIOS hindering my system. If I have to keep changing settings, that's fine. It doesn't happen on restart, just with: sudo apt-get update. I didn't know if anyone else had this little bug too. Thanks.

Comment

Humm strange ,,,,as "sudo apt-get update" dose not change any thing , it just updates the list of available packages !!

now "sudo apt-get upgrade" or dist-upgrade dose change things & I prefer to use the dist-upgrade as it alows for the removal/upgrading to new ver. of packages.

when you tryed to upgrade your KDE-ver. how did you go about it ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ive been complaining about this bug for well over a year. On every single install Ive ever done, power management settings dont stick.

Comment

If it is a bug, I'm not seeing it on my 4.11 (of course it's entirely possible that it has been fixed between 4.8.5 and 4.11.0)

To rule out config file issue, I'd start by deleting powerdevilrc and powermanagementprofilesrc in $HOME/.kde/share/config/, and relog into kde and edit power settings to your preference with clean configs. You should also see the DPMS output of command 'xset q' with monitor standby enabled and disabled, they should be something like:
            Enabled:
            DPMS (Energy Star):
            Standby: 1800 Suspend: 2700 Off: 3600
            DPMS is Enabled
            Monitor is On
            Disabled:
            DPMS (Energy Star):
            Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
            DPMS is Disabled

Comment

Thanks for feedback. Appreciate it.

Comment