Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing an ntfs drive within Kubuntu - How?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing an ntfs drive within Kubuntu - How?

Hi folks, please can someone help me.
    I have a fairly old laptop, after getting sick to death with windows taking forever to load/do anything i deleted the windows partition and installed kubuntu, i got it installed ok and updated everything (now running v13.04) and installed samba and successfully managed to share a folder within dolphin on my network (not bad for a total noob to linux i think (smug mode)).
    Anyway, to the point, my hard drive has two partitions, Kubuntu being the main and a secondary windows formatted (i thinks ntfs) with nothing but files and documents on it, the problem is Kubuntu wont let me share that drive on the network and i don't know how to go about it to make it work, i tried googling but not exactly sure how to word the search to find the right answer, do i need i log in as root or something?
    Also, where can i read up and learn how to add permissions to shared folders? (Dolphin always instantly resets any changes i make). Any pointers in the right direction would be great help.

where is the other partition mounted ?
    is it mounted at boot or just after you click it in dolphin?

root probably owns the drive so you would not be alowd to share it .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny, thanks for your reply, I'm guessing its mounted on start up but I couldn't tell you for sure, I only know how to access it through Dolphin (it always shows when I start Dolphin). I'm reading up on how to manually mount windows partitions on the Ubuntu help site but its going to take a while for me to fully understand it first.
      Your comment about root owning the drive gave me the idea of putting all the folders and files I want to share into one folder, I started to do this but after moving a few folders I suddenly get a 'cannot rename etc...' Error! Why did it let me do this for some files then suddenly stop me for the others?

Btw the partition shows up in blkid and fdisk -lu, does tell me if its already boot mounted?

I can see I had it far too easy with windows lol but the frustration only makes me more determined.

Comment

I work with 2 drives one is partitioned for Linux the others were NTFS and despite warnings from people to the contrary everything worked just fine. Recently I managed to make all my drives Ext4.

First check your /etc/fstab file

Mine now looks like this;

Code:
        # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
        proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
        # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
        UUID=b24d5dbb-8a10-432f-a7bc-ae17adfc3a7a /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
        # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
        UUID=7732e8b3-4a90-4e73-a301-41f8a2d1a806 none            swap    sw              0       0

/dev/sda1	/media/drive_c	auto	rw,auto,user,exec	0	0
        /dev/sdb1	/media/drive_d	auto	rw,auto,user,exec	0	0
        The last two lines auto mount the 2 drives also allowing me read/write and executable access. Where I now have "auto" after the mount point you might should place ntfs to identify your file system. If you aren't sure how to edit the /etc/fstab file you might want to do some research as I did.

This short paragraph should assist you.
        Last edited by Simon; Aug 28, 2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I don't know about Kubuntu 13.04 but here in 12.04 this is very easy see and to mount an NTFS partition at start up.

Just go into System Settings, Hardware Section, Removable Devices and here you will see a list of your partitions. At the top I have ticked "Enable automatic mounting of removable media". In the "Automount on Login" column I have at least one NTFS partition ticked (it's my old data partition from my Windows XP install). I have read and written to this partition without problems since I have been running Ubuntu/Kubuntu and it's always mounted at login.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
          X