Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to get Kubuntu to behave like Ubuntu when switching between monitors?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to get Kubuntu to behave like Ubuntu when switching between monitors?

I have been trying out Kubuntu 12.04 for the past week now and i really really like it.

However, the biggest thing holding me back from switching from Ubuntu 12.04 is that switching between monitor configurations is a hug pain!

For example:

I have a laptop which i connect to an external monitor when i am home. When it is connected i expect the monitor to turn on to its full resolution and the laptop screen to turn off completely.

As soon as i unplug the external monitor, i want my laptop display to turn on to its full resolution and my external monitor to (naturally) turn off.

In Ubuntu 12.04 this works exactly like i described above, but in Kubuntu i cannot seem to get this to work! Everytime i plug in the external monitor i just get a pop up asking if i would like to configure my display settings. If i disconnect the external monitor at a later stage, my laptop screen remains off.

I had written a script to switch between these two settings using xrandr:

# Laptop On, External off
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --output LVDS1 --off

# External Off, Laptop On
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --mode 1600x900

However this just doesnt feel the same as just having it work on Ubuntu 12.04. The fact that it works there makes me hope that the same functionality can be created on Kubuntu?

Is this possible in Kubuntu? Or is it something the window manager (Kwin) suffers from?

I love Kubuntu 12.04, sorry I never experienced Ubuntu. I also worked up a xrandr script for my monitor because of needing to resize my monitor settings. Originally I came here asking questions about my graphics setting, xorg.conf, and the fact that my monitor is 1366x768 LCD. I ended up solving my issues by using a small kdialog script I posted here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen29.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	640440

As you can see I set up a shortcut to my script and place the icon on my panel. It allows me to change resolution without the redundant nagging questions. However from what I am reading, you experience a nag screen when hot plugging your external monitor? Sounds to me you just need to turn off the nag screens? This is where I am lost since I don't have multiple monitors. When I go to my System Settings >> Display and Monitor, the Multiple monitor is not an option for me. Maybe there is a way to turn off the notification?

Some people like to use Zenity over Kdialog but I just happened to find Kdialog first.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      I love Kubuntu 12.04, sorry I never experienced Ubuntu. I also worked up a xrandr script for my monitor because of needing to resize my monitor settings. Originally I came here asking questions about my graphics setting, xorg.conf, and the fact that my monitor is 1366x768 LCD. I ended up solving my issues by using a small kdialog script I posted here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4335[/ATTACH]

As you can see I set up a shortcut to my script and place the icon on my panel. It allows me to change resolution without the redundant nagging questions. However from what I am reading, you experience a nag screen when hot plugging your external monitor? Sounds to me you just need to turn off the nag screens? This is where I am lost since I don't have multiple monitors. When I go to my System Settings >> Display and Monitor, the Multiple monitor is not an option for me. Maybe there is a way to turn off the notification?

Some people like to use Zenity over Kdialog but I just happened to find Kdialog first.
      I actually found a solution, but it involves upgrading to 13.04 which comes with the new kscreen utility.

Unfortunately i feel that 13.04 is not as stable as 12.04 from what i remember. I had issues with kwallet, timezones, locale and the lock screen the last time i used it :/

Comment

Originally posted by KillaW0lf04 View Post
        I actually found a solution, but it involves upgrading to 13.04 which comes with the new kscreen utility.

Unfortunately i feel that 13.04 is not as stable as 12.04 from what i remember. I had issues with kwallet, timezones, locale and the lock screen the last time i used it :/
        You can install 4.11 on 12.04 using the backports. You get Kscreen (which is amazing) and a lot of other KDE improvements like a new Kwallet, Kwin improvements like OpenGL 3 profile. KDE 4.11 is great and worth it. Seriously the jump from 4.8 to 4.9 was massive and since then KDE has been improving noticeably with each new version.

Comment

Im sorry, but Im still a bit new to Kubuntu but how would i upgrade to 4.11 with backports?

Comment

Originally posted by KillaW0lf04 View Post
            Im sorry, but Im still a bit new to Kubuntu but how would i upgrade to 4.11 with backports?
            yes
            http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.11

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

One other thing that was seriously missing in the Original Post was what type of video card and driver is used.
              Like I use the nVidea driver and it's configuration tool gives me all I could wish for.

Comment

Working...
              X