This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon 4500 Issues

Here is my story. I have been trying to put Linux on my laptop for years, usually a Ubuntu version, and I always have major issues with my video driver. I am again trying to convert over Linux once again and these new versions are having a harder time. I have tried Netrunner and Kubuntu, 32bit and 64 bit versions. The Live OS boots up and works just fine but once the actual installation runs and I try booting from the hard drive everything looks fine throught loading commands but once it switches to the graphical intergace I get white noise. Does anyone know of any reason I would have such a hard time with a Radeon 4500 graphics card? AMD has drivers for Linux on their website but I don't know how to install them when I can't get to the OS. Also I don't understand why the video drivers seem to work just fine in the live version but fail after it is installed locally. I would really like to convert to Linux. Please help!!

Welcome to KFN.

The reason that things 'work' from the Live session; the video in your case; is that live sessions don't use any proprietary graphics drivers. To see if a proprietary driver is available for installation, click on the K Menu icon and then System > Additional Drivers. If one is found, but not loaded, you can select it.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can I do that from the live session because I cannot see anything after installation. Or can I press a certain key get a command line interface to install the drivers manually?

Comment

Working...
      X