X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance between shine and productivity

Hello!
    For me the default settings, and the oxygen theme engine is a little bit too shiny. Could somebody help me how to make KDE 4.10 more elegant? For example Windows 7 gives me a phenomenal balance between usability and shine, though it looks good, I don't want my desktop to have the same appearance. I have tried several qtcurve and bespin themes, but for they looked like a kind of mixture of shine, elegancy, and old-fashioned (dated) things. And also, bespin didn't gave me a united look across qt and gtk apps, like oxygen or qtcurve did.
    I really thank for your help! Or is there a way to apply gtk themes to kde apps?
    Last edited by nabalzs; Aug 16, 2013, 10:25 AM.

GTK is on the way out.
    You seem to notice the difference between GTK and QT applications, going all QT would be the logic solution as KDE is QT based.
    Do realise beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    Like I am very happy with an almost bog-standard Oxygen theme with Oxygen-gtk.
    The last non=QT programs I use are Thunderbird and Firefox, the first is for many people easily replaced by Kmail and Knode, for the last there is a Oxygen theme (not ready for FF23).

For a more helpful reply you need to specify what you consider acceptable shine, elegance or dated and what is hurting your senses.

Comment

Open up System Settings and play around with the options in Application Appearance and Workspace Appearance. You can download new themes, color schemes, icons, and window decorations.

Comment

An attempt at an attractive desktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TheELook.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	640428

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          An attempt at an attractive desktop.
          How did you get rid of the desktop toolbox?!?!?!
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
            How did you get rid of the desktop toolbox?!?!?!
            What, this thing?

It's just a folder widget. Point to it with your mouse, and a fly-out menu will appear as you can see in the screenshot. Click the encircled X, and rejoice as it vanishes.

Comment

Originally posted by nabalzs View Post
              For me the default settings, and the oxygen theme engine is a little bit too shiny.
              Try a little steel wool on your monitor. For best results, I'd recommend a high quality 000# grade.

LOL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1_edited.png
Views:	1
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	640430

I looked closer at Shabakthanai's image, and his is in the lower left. I started playing with my tab and found I cam move it to a corner and make it smaller...
                Attached Files
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

The desktop toolbox / the cashew

- It is movable
                  - Hide it: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=147892
                  Last edited by Rog132; Aug 17, 2013, 09:56 AM.
                  A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                  Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    ...for the last there is a Oxygen theme (not ready for FF23).
                    Not true as of a few days ago:
                    http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=117962

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                      The desktop toolbox / the cashew

- It is movable
                      - Hide it: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=147892
                      Nice! Thank you!

Comment

I dunno about the thing about the size of the desktop folder and the control panel.

For me I just drag it to resize it to a convenient size, and the panel switches from side to side depending upon which side of the monitor the desktop folder is on, same for other widgets.

The size of the panel "MAY" be fixed because the average person may need a "minimal" size to hit the X with a mouse and stuff. Dunno.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                        X