This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to recognize Optical Drives.

LG DVDRWs 2 each. Kubuntu 13.04, KDE 4.10.5. AMD 8core w/16gb 1866 RAM. 1000W power supply.

Previously, only one DVDRW was recognized by the computer. Unable to burn an ISO, due to recognition problems with the functioning DVDRW, I opened k3b setup. I set the application to defaults, hoping that would correct the problem.

The result was that the previously working DVDRW no longer responds to power.

I have currently have no optical drive with which I can open a LiveCD and no ability to use my DVDRWs.

I have had many problems since the construction of the new build and was attempting to download and install a fresh Kubuntu OS, expecting many of the problems to be resolved with a fresh installation.

What I would really like is to start completely fresh including a freshly installed boot loader (hope the terms are correct), new OS, and fresh configurations for everything.

My OS is currently installed on a 256GB SSD with my /home directory located on a 1TB 6GB/s HDD.

I need help getting at least one of my Optical Drives mounted and working (both if possible). Thanks!

I realize I am responding to my own Post, however, I have found an interesting side-effect to my problem.

I found that if I restart my computer, the optical drive will notice the DVD and play same. Nevertheless, each time I want to play a different DVD, I find that I have to restart my computer to get the optical drive to recognize the film. I don't know, but it must be something in the mounting of the Optical Drive is causing the problem. Something for someone who is much smarter than me to ponder why.
    Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    LG DVDRWs 2 each. Kubuntu 13.04, KDE 4.10.5. AMD 8core w/16gb 1866 RAM. 1000W power supply.

Previously, only one DVDRW was recognized by the computer. Unable to burn an ISO, due to recognition problems with the functioning DVDRW, I opened k3b setup. I set the application to defaults, hoping that would correct the problem.

The result was that the previously working DVDRW no longer responds to power.

I have currently have no optical drive with which I can open a LiveCD and no ability to use my DVDRWs.

I have had many problems since the construction of the new build and was attempting to download and install a fresh Kubuntu OS, expecting many of the problems to be resolved with a fresh installation.

What I would really like is to start completely fresh including a freshly installed boot loader (hope the terms are correct), new OS, and fresh configurations for everything.

My OS is currently installed on a 256GB SSD with my /home directory located on a 1TB 6GB/s HDD.

I need help getting at least one of my Optical Drives mounted and working (both if possible). Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X