This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genius i405 Tablet

I was out at the yard sales this last week and found this item marked $20 got it for $15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tablet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	648003

The pen uses a small AAA battery and when I plug it in the device automatically is registered as some kind of mouse or pointer in 12.04. But I can't seem to get it to access any of the features like;
    • pressure sensivity tip
    • two buttons on the pen itself
    • programable "hot spots" on the pad

I did try a driver called "Wizard Pen" but that didn't seem to make any new settings and when I drew a line it was very jagged. So I removed "Wizard Pen". Seems to be tons of drivers for Wacom. But I can't find a single one for Genius. So maybe if someone knows how I can get access to the other features this would be cool. It is pretty cool that it works as much as it does without supporting software. I plan to experiment with some windows stuff under WINE.

Later!

btw...

I also did this in terminal window;
    Code:
    [B]ls /dev/input[/B]
    by-id    event0  event2  event4  event6  event8  mice
    by-path  event1  event3  event5  event7  event9  mouse0
    [I](after plugged into the USB)[/I]
    [B]ls /dev/input[/B]
    by-id    event0  event10  event2  event4  event6  event8  mice    mouse1
    by-path  event1  event11  event3  event5  event7  event9  mouse0  mouse2
    [B]sudo cat /dev/input/mouse1 > mouse1.txt[/B]
    [I](File returns unknown binary data from tablet)[/I]
    [B]sudo cat /dev/input/mouse2 > mouse2.txt[/B]
    [I](File remains empty)[/I]
    Edit: More info

Really no one has any clues?

Well this is what I figured out on my own:

Code:
    lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 021: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
    [B]Bus 004 Device 022: ID 5543:0004 UC-Logic Technology Corp. Tablet WP5540U[/B]

xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ PixArt USB Optical Mouse                  id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP5540U                   id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP5540U                   id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    So I am going to add it to my xorg and try to use a wacom driver.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Simon; Aug 13, 2013, 01:16 PM.

Wacom drivers didn't work... switch back to wizard pen for now. Then I added this to my xorg.conf;

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier	"Genius Tablet"
    	Driver          "wizardpen"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/by-id/usb-UC-LOGIC_Tablet_WP5540U-event-mouse"
            Option          "TopX"          "1100"
            Option          "TopY"          "1100"
            Option          "BottomX"       "30500"
            Option          "BottomY"       "30500"
    EndSection
    But I think I still have much more to do, if I want the additional features to work.

Comment

Did you try any of these sites?

Search Results

TabletSetupWizardpen - Community Ubuntu Documentation
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen‎
      May 16, 2012 - DigiPro 5.5×4” Graphics Tablet; Digital Ink Pad (A4 format); G-pen; G-Pen 4500; Genius Wizardpen; Genius Mousepen; Genius Easypen i405.
      Genius Tablet Driver Download for Windows - NoDevice.com
      www.nodevice.com › Genius‎
      Genius Tablet driver download. On this page we place a list of Genius Tablet manufacturers. To find ... Genius, MousePen M508WXA. Graphic Tablet. Mac OS X ...
      Wizardpen in Launchpad
      https://launchpad.net/wizardpen‎
      Supported tablets: Acecad Flair II GT-504, DigiPro 5.5×4” Graphics Tablet, Digital Ink Pad (A4 format), G-pen, Genius Wizardpen, Genius Mousepen, Genius ...

You were not getting any action on your post, so I did a quick Google and got these sites. Looks like they might help. Also there appeared to be a Youtube presentation. Sometimes visuals are easier to learn from. Good luck.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 25, 2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the help, I set the tablet aside for a bit. I am using Gimp and Inkscape to test it. I did use this site to get as far as I did. >>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen

On that page it states;
        Pressure sensitivity works, but is not calibrated well
        The section we inserted into xorg.conf holds some options to calibrate the area of the tablet, but I haven't put in options to configure pressure sensitivity, since it varies a lot.

You can insert these options to enable MAX and MIN pressure sensitivity:

Option "TopZ" "10" Option "BottomZ" "511"
        Where "TopZ" represents the lowest pressure-level to accept, and "BottomZ" represents the maximum pressure-level to accept.
        Unfortunately there is no easy GUI for this Wizard Pen driver everything seems to be command line instructions.

Comment

Cool task to undertake there. I have never messed with those kinds of devices on Linux.

Comment

A bit more progress made today, I ran this command;

xinput test-xi2 8

EVENT type 17 (RawMotion)
            device: 8
            detail: 0
            valuators:
            flags:
            0: 5944.00 (5944.00)
            1: 11753.00 (11753.00)
            2: 0.00 (0.00)

Moving the pen around was obvious that Flag 0 is my X, Flag 1 is my Y, and 2 is the pressure tip.

Top left corner is;
            flags:
            0: 1506.00 (1506.00)
            1: 2705.00 (2705.00)
            Bottom right is;
            flags:
            0: 31225.00 (31225.00)
            1: 30892.00 (30892.00)

Pressure ranges from 0 no contact to 1023

Now I need a program like GIMP or Inkscape to recognize them.

Update: Just in case someone reads this...

After removing the wacom and wizardpen drivers and resetting my xorg.conf - the only thing I actually needed to figure out was the settings on the Gimp.

Run Gimp and on the top of the image window choose Edit >> Preferences >> Input Devices >> Configure Extended Input Devices >> Device

This drop down menu should have all the devices and buttons. Save settings and exit.

Works great... but now my pen thingy needs a fresh battery. LoL
            Last edited by Simon; Aug 28, 2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X