Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to disable ad plugins in Facebook application to speed operation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to disable ad plugins in Facebook application to speed operation.

Probabaly a very dumb question, but all the ads that appear in Zynga Poker slow the application too much. I never respond to any of the ads as a matter of protest. Is there a way to disable either some or all of the ad plugins and still have an operational application? I have an 8 core processor with 16GB DDR3 1866 Ram, an still the application is slugish. Thanks!

Do you use a web browser to interact with Facebook games, or did you install some kind of third party application for that?

Comment

I use a web browser. Nonetheless, the reason I ask is this:

My desktop computer is very fast, an 8 core AMD with lots of Memory. It still is slowed by the Facebook site. My laptop is an Intel dual-core 2300mhz processor and it is slowed to the point of almost not working. That doesn't seem right.

Since I am not attracted to any the sales offerings or games other than Holdem poker, or even the basic Facebook site itself, I thought perhaps some or all of the excessive power draining plugins could be disabled to make the play more entertaining. Steve. I am an old man with only a couple of things to use my time for anymore. I play poker online, work on my computer, and watch movies. Other than that, I am alone all the time. I am embarrassed to say that part of the reason I upgraded to such a fast machine was to better deal with the sluggish Facebook site. If you can help me, I sure would appreciated it. Thanks friend.
      Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Do you use a web browser to interact with Facebook games, or did you install some kind of third party application for that?
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 13, 2013, 04:53 AM. Reason: correct a word

Comment

Try Adblock Plus.

Comment

It is inconceivable how a single site can slow your beast of a computer to a crawl. You seem to have ongoing problems with that machine. I'd wager your slowdowns have some other cause. I don't use Facebook, but my kids do, and they don't complain about performance problems.

That said, Geoaraujo's advice is correct: install Adblock Plus.

Comment

Besides, your whole life speeds up ditching Facebook
            If in need you can share your sorrows here.

Comment

I can't stand Facebook. But I enjoy playing Texas Holdem. Facebook is the most intrusive website I have ever seen. They promote give-aways to get information on the people. Their greed is insatiable. And they cheat. The fun part of playing on Facebook is: when you notice their manipulation of the cards and play against your current style, you can win large during the time they are gleaning chips from their trained suckers. If you attempt to expose their trickery, they claim you are swearing in the chat program and take away your freedom of speech. The people they dominate and control are players that try to help the misguided players who waste large bets on mediocre hands. It is amazing how many players who have had 50,000,000 chips in their banks end up playing with a remainder of 1 tenth of 1 % to 1% of their previous multimillion dollar bank. ALL of the large continually betting pre-flop players lose most or all of their chips. They lose hand after hand large sums to win a very occassional large hand. That large hand insures their brilliance as a player and their losses are then overlooked as just bad luck.

Facebook Zynga has so many sales gimmics running that even my 8 core 16GB of very fast ram are slowed when clicking a choice.

I joined the Zynga (non-Facebook) site a few months ago. In less than a month I accumulated over 9 million chips. They closed the site and promised to transfer the chips of those who were winners to the Facebook Zynga site. My chips never made the trip. They stole them and said nothing. And when you try to look into the theft, you find there really is no way to register your complaint.

Some say the chips are free, because you can buy a couple of million for about $20. Divide that by the number of 50,000,000 chip losers and you'll see that when they manipulate the deck, they are actually stealing from their customers. I guess, because you can purchase a couple of million chips for $20 they don't consider the multiplicity of 20 dollar bills they steal as having any value at all. I have won hands containing $400,000 chips only to see my total reduced by $200,000. That's a $600,000 swing from your bank. It is quite a laugh when you consider the depths how far a prosperous business will go to take from their clients. I haven't been keeping a record, but my guess is that they have stolen from $20,000,000 to $30,000,000 from me over a three year period.

I hope the forum isn't offended by this reply. I have been looking for an opportunity to expose the greedy behavior of that website that likes to make you think they are generous and philonthropic. And of course, I could easily just open a different site and play holdem where such agregious behavior is not being conducted.

I take pleasure in counciling willing listeners on how to defeat their debauchery.

One fellow took sensible betting to a wonderful high. After my explaining how to bet according to the odds (that really control the winners), he took a few suggestions and parlayed around a million chips to breezing past me and winning an additional $20,000,000. He is definately a better player than me now, even though he recently lost his discipline and lost his bank. When he passed me, I had won about $30,000,000 while he soured to over $50,000,000.

I have been fortunate and never purchased a chip. With about $55,000,000 chips currenty added to the $30,000,000 million Zynga Facebook stole, plus their continual manipulation with the never random dealing of the cards, I have even convinced myself that those crooks taught me to be a pretty decent holdem player. Just a brief comment to your invitation to reply.
              Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Besides, your whole life speeds up ditching Facebook
              If in need you can share your sorrows here.

Comment

http://www.ghostery.com/
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

It is inconceivable how a single site can slow your beast of a computer to a crawl. You seem to have ongoing problems with that machine. I'd wager your slowdowns have some other cause.
                  I suspect you are right, Steve, but I haven't been able to find the culprit. I am wondering if it may just be a problem with developmental catch-up. I really didn't realize that I was making a monster, I just wanted a taste of speed while still alive on this rock. I think my quad-core may have been almost as fast.
                  I don't use Facebook, but my kids do, and they don't complain about performance problems.
                  I only use the Holdem portion of Facebook, with an occasional glance at my grandchildren's comments and thoughts.

Have you ever seen a site with so many sales gimmics loaded?

That said, Geoaraujo's advice is correct: install Adblock Plus.
                  Tried it; wish it had worked. Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the input.

Comment

The next thing after Adblock Plus would be NoScript.

But as it sounds like the whole site is dependent on scripts it will require care to decide which scripts to block and allow...

Comment

I use a bookmarked Browser page. Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        The next thing after Adblock Plus would be NoScript.

But as it sounds like the whole site is dependent on scripts it will require care to decide which scripts to block and allow...
                        You are probably right, it is just, Facebook Texas Holdem, almost the only game I play and enjoy is filled with lags and delays, while my computer is reasonably fast. AMD 8core with 16GB DDR3 1866 RAM. I neither respond nor enjoy the ads, so it would be nice if I could eliminate the things I never watch or respond to that slow the response of my computer. When I play the game on my dual-core 2300mhz laptop, sometimes a popup will delay until I miss my selection in the play, and I lose the hand by default. It is annoying and seems unnecessary. I would avoid the site, but children and grandchildren leave comments and messages on the site. Additionally, some of my friends play and sometimes join me in the play. We then enjoy the chat program while playing. Of course, I can live without the site, but it is a location for competition and fellowship with family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                          Try Adblock Plus.
                          AdBlock Plus looks like a very good product. I must have screwed up, though and am having some additional problems.

I blocked what I thought was an unwanted and unused chat program. When I did, I lost the entire game. I have ongoing communication with several players and miss the game (which I normally play daily).

Is there a way to unblock the application that I blocked? I have searched for an unblock procedure, however, I can not find the ap that I blocked anywhere. Does anyone know the address and name of the folder that contains this information? Once found, could a person delete the blocked entry to solve the problem? Thanks for help on what must seem a very unimportant problem. I am old and live alone and communications with friends is important to me. It is one of the reasons I love and support Kubuntu forums.

Comment

All you have to do, when on the page you blocked, is click the ABP icon at the right end of the URL search bar and un-check Enable for this site.
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              All you have to do, when on the page you blocked, is click the ABP icon at the right end of the URL search bar and un-check Enable for this site.
                              Thanks for replying. When always alone, you have to do things to stay sane. Computer stuff, movies, and Facebook are my daily thing anymore.

When I attempt to open the URL anymore, an error message containing the following appears:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.facebook.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
                              moments.
                              If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
                              connection.
                              If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
                              that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

The button or tab you suggest does not appear onscreen. Do you think a remove/reinstall Firefox would work? Is the AdBlock Plus application a part of Firefox, or is it independent. Will AdBlock and its contents remain in my computer including configuration while Firefox is removed so that reinstallation will include the blocked site? I realize this is a pretty insignificant problem for most computer users, it is company to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X