This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help installing Synergy on Kubuntu

I inherited a home-built computer & don't yet have all the specs. GigaByte MB, 6 core processor. I installed a clean SATA drive, found an installation disk for Kubuntu 11.1 & just today got Kubuntu 12.04, KDE 4.8.5 with Grub Legacy Version 0.97-29ubuntu66 up and running. No Windows, nothing there but Kubuntu.
    I have tried to use Linux a couple of times over the years & gave up in frustration. This time I am more determined.
    My next step is to install Synergy to integrate Kubuntu machine into my system of 4 computers. I've used Synergy for years and lean on it a lot.
    I don't know how to download and install programs. Most of the online posts refer to Adept, but I have Muon. I first need to know how to tell Muon to look further for the Deb of Synergy, then I need some simplified steps of installing this 'outside' program. Forgive me for being so ignorant.
    Anybody willing to help with some thorough simplified steps?
    Thanks,
    GranPaSmurf
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

So you have used Synergy before. I'm using it on my two laptops. Very nice program.

I'm using the 'latest' available version straight from Synergy as the one in the repositories is 'older'. If you opt to use the newer version, you'll have to 'pin' the version, else regular updates will want to uninstall it in favor of the 'older' version. Download from Synergy's website: http://synergy-foss.org/

To install, just double-click on the downloaded .deb package and it will install using Gdebi Installer. Configuration for Server and Clients is straight forward, and as you've used Synergy before, you should be familiar with the process.

The same package can be configured as Server or Client. And of course, the package has to be installed on each PC; one as the Server and the others as Clients.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Now THAT worked!

Yea! Dancing around and waving!
      Thanks Snowhog!
      The key stumbling block where you supplied the answer was Gdebi Installer. It was not part of my Kubuntu install. Once I knew to look for it in Muon and install it, then the downloaded Synergy deb worked great.
      The Kubuntu box is front and center, serving as Synergy server. To the right is an XP screen that I use for weather and news updates mostly. To the top is a Win 7 screen monitoring Gmail and Twitter. To the left is the laptop that was my primary machine until now with an added monitor. So, 5 screens when I am working, not counting the HP Touchpad on its wireless charging dock and my Galaxy Nexus charging and always on.
      Now I'm moving on to see if I can get Logitec gaming software to work on Kubuntu so that my lighted keyboard will accept profiles with macros for custom hotkeys.
      Thanks again for the help. (can you see Russia?)
      Attached Files
      Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Way cool! You're geekier than I am!!

So, are you running 5 PCs, or just 5 screen sessions? I can't tell from your description.

No, contrary to what our former Governor said, we can't see Russia from here.

Comment

Originally posted by snowhog
          No, contrary to what our former Governor said, we can't see Russia from here.
          According to this, her remark was

Originally posted by SarahPalin
          ...you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.
          I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by rybnik View Post
            According to this, her remark was
            Yes, that would be true. From the Island of Little Diomede, you can see Russia in that Big Diomede Island, part of Russia, is less than 2.4 miles away.

Comment

Command Central

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              So, are you running 5 PCs, or just 5 screen sessions?
              Most of the time when I am working in “Command Central” I have 3 machines running, now 4. Two I inherited from my daughter when she got a “real MAC” and the TouchPad I inherited from my grandson when he got a “real iPad.”
              This newest addition I inherited from the widow of a close friend. He built a great machine, gaming quality. Six core processor, 5 drive RAID array, etc... He was a mainframe IBM programmer that worked from home most days instead of going into the Data Center. By the time I got it a couple of the drives were bad and it wouldn't even boot. I removed his drives for now and used a wiped-clean SATA drive to install Kubuntu. So far, I think it will work great as my “hub” machine.
              Most of my day is spent working on websites and Constant Contact, so the only real load is the Internet connection.
              Yeah, I'm “GranPaGeek” to a couple of my grandkids. But it keeps me off the streets, (and unfortunately out of the gym). BTW, we just celebrated my 73 birthday. Part of the time was spent with me showing 2 of my college-age grandsons some cool things they could do with their cell phones.
              Sorry for the verbosity, I know it's probably more than you wanted to know when you asked.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't going to mention that quote, what with Snowhog being so helpful and all.

Comment

hehe. No, no problem at all. I'm guessing that you stay nice and toasting in your 'geek center' with all the PCs running! Ah, nice and warm. Just you and the World!

Comment

Originally posted by granpasmurf
                    Yeah, I wasn't going to mention that quote, what with Snowhog being so helpful and all.
                    hope it wasn't rude of me. I didn't know the particulars of little/big diomede--that's interesting.

Granpasmurf--I found your anecdote quite amusing! In my family (I'm in the youngest generation), the tech support goes completely the opposite way!

And yes, Snowhog is very helpful! :-)
                    I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Working...
                    X