Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, I try but it doesn't do anything at all. Nothing changes until I use my powerbook g4.

Comment

Your USB wifi thingy for Rapberry likely works under Linux.

Just plug it in and Linux should automagically recognise it.

There is a chance an additional driver needs to be installed, Jockey-kde is the application that, if needed, can help to install additional drivers but you do need network access to download them...

Others are correct in suggesting you have to tell the Macbook to share it's network access, once it's told to do DHCP on the Ethernet port it should make an IP address available for the G5.

Your story about the G4 is once more confusing, did you test it as replacement for the Macbook or for the G5?

Comment

Okay, ignore all posts until now. How can I get drivers for my Powermac g5's wifi thingy without internet access?

Comment

You mentioned having a network cable but it is too short, implying you do have a wired network available.
          When the mountain doesn't come to Mohammed, Mohammed goes to the mountain.

Carry your G5 to a place where the cable does fit and do your updates.

Comment

Finally, I'm making progress. I made like Mohammed and went to the mountain (moved the G5 to the router). I'm getting a connection, and tried to download the additional drivers, which I'm pretty sure it did, because when I opened up the little network thing at the bottom-right of the screen (it shows the wired and wireless connections) it said that there was a connection. I open up the "Additional Drivers" application, it loads for a few seconds, then closes. I look at the wireless thing again (the one at the bottom right hand of the screen) and it says the driver is something different (it used to be "gem"). Now, whenever I open the additional drivers app, it just crashes, and jockey opens up saying something about reporting a crash.

Just to let you know, I downloaded the unity desktop (I wanted to try it) by using
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install unity
            and whenever i try to login using the "gnome" option, it just says it can't be loaded

Comment

Note: The Networking interfaces menu on the toolbar (the "little network thing") now says at the "WLAN Interface" option:

Type: Wireless 802.11
              Connection State: Unavailable
              IP Address: No IP address.
              Connection Speed: Unknown
              MAC Address: 00:0D:93:ED:86:3B
              Driver: b43

Comment

Did you tick the Activate Network and Wireless boxes at the lower left?

b43 is one of the wireless drivers for the Broadcom chipsets.
                Broadcom is not known for being Linux friendly but I've always had their stuff work.

The little wireless thingy is the Network Manager plasmoid and by clicking it you can select the Manage Connections option, this can also be achieved by right-clicking the plasmoid.
                Then you select the Wireless tab and click the Add button/ add wireless for the next window, here you can select Scan and wireless networks around you should show up.
                Select the one you want to join, select the Security tab and fill in the password and OK it.
                Returning to the main Network Manager screen should now show you how the connection is made...

Comment

Working...
                X