Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to make Kubuntu run on this machine? Do I need an earlier release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do to make Kubuntu run on this machine? Do I need an earlier release?

My girlfriend and I were just recently gifted a pair of old computers, the exact same model. The one given to her had immense amounts of virus', adware, and what-not all through the original OS, Windows 7. So for her, I formatted the computer and installed Kubuntu 12.04.2.

We're both new to Linux OS', and though I have some computer skills, I'm not that knowledgeable.

The problem is that I've installed 12.04.2, and the interface runs so slow that I have to minimize a window, then re-maximize it to see any changes (such as percent downloaded, or if I tried to scroll up or down). If I click the "start menu", I have to click it again for it to show up, but if I click on any of the start tabs, nothing happens.

I read about some low-FAT settings version of Kubuntu, but from what I could tell, it was a package you have to download and install within Kubuntu, and I can't get the OS to do anything because of how slow it is.

I figure I have to probably install an earlier version of Kubuntu, but I have no idea which one, or if there is some way I can make 12.04.2 work, which is honestly what I would prefer.

Version: Kubuntu 12.04.2
    Wubi?: No. Fresh install on a formatted drive
    KDE Version: Whatever is default for Kubuntu 12.04.2 off of the kubuntu org website
    Grub Version: Whatever is default for Kubuntu 12.04.2 off of the kubuntu org website
    Other OS': None.

Computer (Dell Inspiron 531)
    Type: Desktop
    CPU: AMD Athalon X2 64
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    RAM: 2 GB
    HD: One 320 GB SATA (I believe) internal
    Optical: One DVD-RW
    Last edited by ChrisRevocateur; Aug 15, 2013, 04:07 PM.

That's almost exactly what I have and its very fast!

CPU:
    Code:
    $ sudo cat /proc/cpuinfo
    [sudo] password for vmc: 
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
    cpu family	: 16
    model		: 6
    model name	: [b]AMD Athlon(tm) II X2[/b] 250 Processor
    stepping	: 2
    microcode	: 0x10000c7
    cpu MHz		: 800.000
    cache size	: 1024 KB
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 2
    core id		: 0
    cpu cores	: 2
    apicid		: 0
    initial apicid	: 0
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 5
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
    bogomips	: 6027.34
    TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
    clflush size	: 64
    cache_alignment	: 64
    address sizes	: 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

processor	: 1
    vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
    cpu family	: 16
    model		: 6
    model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
    stepping	: 2
    microcode	: 0x10000c7
    cpu MHz		: 3000.000
    cache size	: 1024 KB
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 2
    core id		: 1
    cpu cores	: 2
    apicid		: 1
    initial apicid	: 1
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 5
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
    bogomips	: 6027.34
    TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
    clflush size	: 64
    cache_alignment	: 64
    address sizes	: 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate
    Video:
    Code:
     lspci|grep VGA
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [[b]GeForce 6150SE[/b] nForce 430] (rev a2)
    Possibly adding more ram would help.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
      That's almost exactly what I have and its very fast!

Which video driver are you using? This might be the culprit here, as possibly the open source "nouveau" nvidia graphics driver in 12.04 might not work so well with the gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Which video driver are you using? This might be the culprit here, as possibly the open source "nouveau" nvidia graphics driver in 12.04 might not work so well with the gpu.
        I don't have any extra drivers installed. I go with the nouveau that gets installed. I use to bust a gut installing either nvida or open-source, but find out standard nouveau is enough for me. Wobbly this or spin that means nothing to me - fun to look at though.

I might have to install one of those again to convince myself I'm right or not...

Code:
        $ lsmod|grep nouveau
        nouveau               989208  2 
        mxm_wmi                13021  1 nouveau
        wmi                    19070  2 mxm_wmi,nouveau
        video                  19502  1 nouveau
        i2c_algo_bit           13413  1 nouveau
        ttm                    84547  1 nouveau
        drm_kms_helper         52692  1 nouveau
        drm                   289960  4 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Well, that helps rule out that, assuming that you are also running 12.04.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Well, that helps rule out that, assuming that you are also running 12.04.
            Oh gawd help me. I do need to start reading the comment. No, I'm using the testing version - 13.10.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

So should I try with version 13.1 then? I guess so.

Comment

Try a simple change first. If, as I suspect, the Blur Desktop Effect is enabled, turn it off (un-check it). System Settings > Desktop Effects > All Effects > Blur
                Log out and back in. Any difference?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's the thing, I can't get the system to do anything. I can get the "start" menu to come up if I click it, then click again, but I strongly suspect that's a shadow image, as clicking anything on it doesn't do anything and just leads to the screen refreshing without the menu open anymore. I can get the notification bar to pop open menus, but to the exact same effect, nothing I click on is registered. The ONLY thing I was able to click on and actually have an effect was the update notification. That's when I noticed I had to minimize, then reopen a window for me to see any changes.

Comment

http://fosswire.com/post/2009/01/qui...sktop-effects/

You could also install the nvidia driver from the. CLI

And there is general no reason to stick with LTS versions

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
                    Last edited by jpenguin; Aug 14, 2013, 12:19 PM.
                    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

That worked! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X