Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kontact the best appointment organizer? How do I use the application?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kontact the best appointment organizer? How do I use the application?

Never been in a business where I had to keep track of a schedule. I am old now and have many appointments for health reasons and am having a hard time remembering my appointment dates and times.

I have looked at Kontact and tried to use it, but I never seem to get the appointments properly entered so that I can be reminded of up and coming appointments.

I have looked for a tutorial without success.

If kontact is the Kubuntu best way of organizing appointments, will someone please tell me how to set up and use it?

I am a retired fine-artist and have never been controlled by a schedule, and obviously not too bright when it comes to business. Thanks!

I simply want to know how to fill out a coming appointment and have it show up in time to remind me of same. I have read how complex and capable the application can be, but all I need is a way to NOT MISS my appointments. It would be nice if I could see a reminder too, or hear a sound that keyed me to read my appointment schedule. It is very intimidating to read how complex Kontact can be. I don't think I could ever understand it's complete use.

How embarrassing it is to be so stupid. How did I live this long in such a complex environment?
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 07, 2013, 02:42 AM. Reason: Just trying to make myself understood.

Hi
    Yes, Kontact is by far and away the best of the "suites" for this.

Apparently, from what you posted, you "only need" to do appointments.

A) the first question which needs to be dealt with is whether you want to:

I) only have the appointment on the computer
    II) have it interact with an external service like Google.

B) If one only wants it on the computer then one uses the "local" file. Doing this is straightforward and there are MANY posts in "help the new guy" sub forum, just enter "appointments Korganizer" or something like that, I did a slew of such things several years ago and others have also.

The appointments are strictly within the Korganizer part so you will probably get the best search results using the Korganizer term.

C) the "complexity" really ONLY comes in when one wants to do something with an external service and then one has to work with Akonadai, to add the service to Kontact. Google works nicely, Yahoo no so nicely and presently, apparently according to Steve Riley, companies who use IMAP(don't worry about it) now have a "layer" that will allow things like Kontact to work with it.

So...

Cut to the chase, decide where you want the information stored, check out the many threads in "Help the New Guy" by using search and then come back and you can ask a question which will help us help you a little better!

woodsmoke

Comment

For me, Google Calendar and Tasks, in combination with my smart phone is the best appointment organizer. I get reminders on my phone before appointments. If I use Kontact, I need to be at a computer to see the reminder. Plus, for me, the best integration of work calendar (Exchange) and my personal calendar (Google) is on my phone. I can see and manage them both in one place.

Comment

**Hi
        Yes, Kontact is by far and away the best of the "suites" for this.
        I prefer KDE applications. I tried to find and install Koffice, but it was not available. I currently use Libre Office Suite.
        Apparently, from what you posted, you "only need" to do appointments.
        That is correct; I would like to keep my calendar as simple as possible. I am old and just need to keep track of medical appointments, birthdays, and anniversaries anymore. I would like to minimize confusion.
        A) the first question which needs to be dealt with is whether you want to:

I) only have the appointment on the computer
        II) have it interact with an external service like Google.
        For now, at least, I think on my computer only. My daughter is sending me a new IPhone with Internet. It may be the better way to schedule appoints later, but I won't even know how to operate either this or the phone functions for a while. What the new generation is used to is new territory for me.
        B) If one only wants it on the computer then one uses the "local" file. Doing this is straightforward and there are MANY posts in "help the new guy" sub forum, just enter "appointments Korganizer" or something like that, I did a slew of such things several years ago and others have also.

The appointments are strictly within the Korganizer part so you will probably get the best search results using the Korganizer term.
        I attempted to configure Kontact. I also searched "appointments Korganizer" but only got one entry that did not help much. I could not find anything identified as "Local" so I guess I don't understand your reply very well.
        C) the "complexity" really ONLY comes in when one wants to do something with an external service and then one has to work with Akonadai, to add the service to Kontact. Google works nicely, Yahoo no so nicely and presently, apparently according to Steve Riley, companies who use IMAP(don't worry about it) now have a "layer" that will allow things like Kontact to work with it.
        I think I need to get used to the application a bit first.
        So...

Cut to the chase, decide where you want the information stored, check out the many threads in "Help the New Guy" by using search and then come back and you can ask a question which will help us help you a little better!

woodsmoke
        I suspect this may sound a little stupid, but for now, I want the information stored in my kmail/kontact applications. I need very much to be better organized and learning this method should make life easier for me. I hope I have given you the information you require; it is the best I can do with my limited intelect. Thanks for helping me, friend.
        Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 10, 2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X