This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated by soundcard

OK, so I've got a Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum which I've installed on my compy. I installed ALSA and the correct module (according to alsa's website) all according to [url]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToConfigureSoundBlasterAudigySEinBreezy[url], however when I go into alsamixer, the card still comes up as the onboard audio from the MoBo. When I plug my speakers into the Audigy, no sound from any application or KDE. When I plug them into the onboard card, also no sound. Anyone know what's going on here??

Re: Frustrated by soundcard

Hi. jazzhat

you need to disable your onboard sound in the BIOS. That worked for me.

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I had thought of that. The problem I ran into was that there is no way to disable the oboard sound in the BIOS on that particular compy (a rather crappy compaq from a couple of years back). Any other ideas?

Comment

type sudo lsmod

See if you can identify the module from your on board sound - I had a via onboard sound and mine was snd_via82xxx - yours will be different

then disable it

kdesu kate /etc/modprobe.conf

type the line
        blacklist snd_via62xx (change the command to your module)

save and reboot

That should solve the alsamixer coming up with the wrong card - if stilll no sound, check every thing in alsamixer to make sure nothing is muted.

save alsamixer settings
        type the line:
        sudo alsactl store

Hopefully that should do it - but sometimes sound problems aren't easy to track down - good luck

Comment

Thanks, that worked wonderfully!

Comment

Working...
          X