Dual monitor problems with XFX R7850 GPU

AsRock 990FX Extreme4 Motherboard
    AMD 8350 8 core processor
    XFX R7850 2gb DDR5 GPU
    SSD 256GB
    HDD 1TB 6GBs
    HDD 1TB 3GBs
    2ea LG DVDRW's

I have had dual monitors working fine for several years. It was a little more difficult to set up the new Radeon card, but it has worked fine.

Recently in trying to solve several problems with my new computer, I started having problems with the monitors.

I recently removed the Catalyst Control Center "Administrative" at the recommendation of an online helper. When I restarted the computer, I got 2 screen that, I believe, were clones. The mouse had a cursor on each screen and the content of the screens was identical.

In the past, when I initialized a new video card, the computer did all the work. Excepting screen resolution adjustments, both monitors opened with my normal Kubuntu 13.04 desktop. The mouse moved freely from one screen to the other, and I was able to drag work from screen to screen.

Now the mouse stops at the border of each monitor and I am unable to use the screens independently.

I went to the 'additional drivers' entry in System Settings. There were two choices. Neither appeared activated, and the appropriate driver was more or less recommended. I clicked on it and it went through the download and install process.

Normally at this time in an installation of a video driver I am told that the system must be restarted to activate the driver. This time was different. It immediately showed that the driver was installed and also Activated.

When I opened System Settings 'Display and Monitor', the screen was different. It did not contain any reference to my 2 monitors; it simply had an image of a monitor in the center-screen that had DFP10 over a blue square left and a white square right.

In the upper right corner of the window was an additional image of a monitor "greyed out" with DFP11 over two greyed out squares. I was able to drag the greyed out image to a point right of the other image of a monitor. There was a caption in the window "Manage and configure monitors and displays", however no matter where I clicked the mouse, no further information was made available.

I tried to enable 'defaults' but nothing happened. There was nothing to indicate that I had two monitors.

Currently the Right monitor has my desktop, but the left monitor is black-screen. The best equipment I have ever had, and I am unable to get it to function. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 05, 2013, 07:22 AM. Reason: Correct a mispelled word.

I have given up on this problem. I re-installed my old GForce which handles dual monitors just fine in both Kubuntu 13.04 and Win7. I just had to give up some picture quality.

Comment

Working...
    X