Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know why some do and some don't play in a series of movies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know why some do and some don't play in a series of movies?

Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 - AMD 8 core - 16gb RAM - 2ea DVDRW

The tools should be adequate, but why do some DVD's play from a series, on different DVDroms. and some are not even recognized?

I love science fiction so much, I purchased the Stargate SG-1 series and the Stargate Atlantis series. Some play on my desktop, some play on my laptop, and some play on a Sony 7.1 sound system that has a DVD player, still some are not recognized by any of the hardware.

Of those that do not play, some are recognized by a friend's player, so I know they all work.

Is there a multimedia guru that can advise me how to get better results? Thanks for any input at all.

Usually...

Usually the system (computer) will tell - if you ask - what is the problem.

It would help if you tell a bit more

How are you trying to play the dvd ?
    With what program ?
    Do you get any error messages ?
    Do you have the libdvdcss installed ?

An example - with my system & VLC

At here the DVD player is:
    :~$ sudo lshw -C disk

*-cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    product: DVDRAM GH22NS90
    vendor: HL-DT-ST
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/cdrw
    logical name: /dev/dvd
    logical name: /dev/dvdrw
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: HN00
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
    *-medium
    physical id: 0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    Inserting the DVD and typing, konsole/terminal:
    Code:
    vlc dvd://dev/sr0
    The dvd is starting to play and the output:
    VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b)
    [0x632108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.2.0
    libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.12 for DVD access
    libdvdnav: DVD Title: Black Adder DVD 1
    libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: bf20f155
    libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): Black Adder DVD 1
    libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/rog132/.dvdnav/Black Adder DVD 1.map'
    libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fd0000. Regions: 2

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
    libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000140
    libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x0000019f
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00016132
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x003decb2
    libdvdread: Found 2 VTS's

libdvdcss

:~$ apt-cache show libdvdcss2
    Package: libdvdcss2
    Source: libdvdcss
    Description: Simple foundation for reading DVDs - runtime libraries
    To allow applications to access some of the more advanced features
    of the DVD format.
    Available from the Medibuntu (http://www.medibuntu.org/ ) and from the Kubuntu Libdvdcss Archive ( http://archive.kubuntu.co.uk/ ) earlier: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-the-Medibuntu

Kubuntu guide - Proprietary Extras - Playing DVDs

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/K_All_Versions -> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_Raring -> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_...tricted_Extras -> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_...ack_Capability
    Last edited by Rog132; Aug 04, 2013, 07:17 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I am trying to play the DVD using an LG DVDRW; I have two and tried them both.

I usually use and tried VLC; I also tried and failed using Dragon Player, however sometimes the alternate application would work. If both failed in both DVDRW's, I tried my laptop. Sometimes my laptop would work while the others did not.

I did not get any error messages. To open the movie, I would use Dolphin. When the ROM would recognize the movie, the name of the movie would appear. I then would click on the movie and the word "video" would appear. I would right-click on video and choose VLC or Dragon Player. If the movie was recognized in Dolphin the movie would open and play, otherwise, I would try the laptop. If I got the same results with my laptop, I would try Windows 7 OS. When it failed there, I would try another movie in the series and repeat the process.

I do have libdvdcss installed.

Here are my results for "sudo lshw -C disk".

steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$ sudo lshw -C disk [sudo] password for steven: *-cdrom description: DVD-RAM writer product: DVD-RAM GH22LS30 vendor: HL-DT-ST physical id: 0.0.0 bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0 logical name: /dev/cdrom logical name: /dev/cdrw logical name: /dev/dvd logical name: /dev/dvdrw logical name: /dev/sr0 logical name: /media/STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5 version: 1.01 capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gi d=1000,umask=77,dmode=500,iocharset=utf8 state=mounted status=ready *-medium physical id: 0 logical name: /dev/cdrom logical name: /media/STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5 configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gi d=1000,umask=77,dmode=500,iocharset=utf8 state=mounted *-disk description: ATA Disk product: WDC WD10EADS-00L vendor: Western Digital physical id: 0.0.0 bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0 logical name: /dev/sda version: 01.0 serial: WD-WCAU49326234 size: 931GiB (1TB) capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=000f3568 *-disk description: ATA Disk product: ST1000DM003-9YN1 vendor: Seagate physical id: 0.0.0 bus info: scsi@5:0.0.0 logical name: /dev/sdb version: CC4D serial: Z1D0E78T size: 931GiB (1TB) capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=4096 signature=000705b4 *-disk description: ATA Disk product: OCZ-AGILITY4 physical id: 0.1.0 bus info: scsi@7:0.1.0 logical name: /dev/sdc version: 1.5. serial: OCZ-HO1UOYKF8T9L7NP1 size: 238GiB (256GB) capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=00043b4f *-disk description: SCSI Disk physical id: 0.0.0 bus info: scsi@10:0.0.0 logical name: /dev/sdd configuration: sectorsize=512 steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$

Here are my results for "vlc dvd://dev/sr0".

steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$ vlc dvd://dev/sr0 VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b) [0xa9e108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.2.0 libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.12 for DVD access libdvdnav: DVD Title: STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5 libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 38A56B89 libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5 libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/steven/.dvdnav/STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5.map' libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1 libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000146 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000004b5 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00000525 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x000005fe libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00001c70 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x0000289b libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0x0005e42d libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00062dc8 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x00062eaa libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x000684cb libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0x000685b4 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB at 0x00128903 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_09_1.VOB at 0x003a03bc libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB at 0x003d370f libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Found 10 VTS's libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!! libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!! steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$

steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$ vlc dvd://dev/sr0 VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b) [0xa9e108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.2.0 libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.12 for DVD access libdvdnav: DVD Title: STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5 libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 38A56B89 libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5 libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/steven/.dvdnav/STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5.map' libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1 libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000146 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000004b5 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00000525 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x000005fe libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00001c70 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x0000289b libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0x0005e42d libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00062dc8 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x00062eaa libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x000684cb libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0x000685b4 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB at 0x00128903 libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_09_1.VOB at 0x003a03bc libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB at 0x003d370f libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Found 10 VTS's libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!! libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!! steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$

Here are my results for "apt-cache show libdvdcss2".

I do not know how to make necessary changes without your help. In fact, I do not recognize if a problem exists, from the information provided. Thanks for some direction.

Comment

Reformat a quote - so it would be a bit easier to read:

steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$ vlc dvd://dev/sr0 VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b)
        [0xa9e108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
        libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.2.0
        libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.12 for DVD access libdvdnav: DVD Title: STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5
        libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 38A56B89
        libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5
        libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/steven/.dvdnav/STARGATE_ATLANTIS_S4D5.map'
        libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
        libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
        libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
        libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000146
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000004b5
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00000525
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x000005fe
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00001c70
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x0000289b
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0x0005e42d
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00062dc8
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x00062eaa
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x000684cb
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0x000685b4
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB at 0x00128903
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_09_1.VOB at 0x003a03bc
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB at 0x003d370f
        libdvdread: Elapsed time 0 libdvdread: Found 10 VTS's
        libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
        libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
        steven@YESHUAH-desktop:~$
        This seems to be a problem with the libdvdnav /1/ and with the Region-code enhanced protection /2/.

The missing / not working libdvdcss should show this kind of information:

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
        ** No css library available. See **
        ** /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.css **
        ** for more information. **

I would try to bypass the DVD menus and simply play the VOB's from the file manager - that is:

Either from the KDE device notifier /3/ or from the file manager (dolphin) 'Places' panel open the DVD.

Browse to the Video_TS directory and play / Open with a media player.

If this is not possible - then I would try with the : DVDs that won’t play in Linux, and how to make them behave - http://www.squaregoldfish.co.uk/2010...e-them-behave/ More of the playing DVDs with the Ubuntu can be found from the: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Links

1. http://dvdnav.mplayerhq.hu/
        2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
        3. http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/DeviceNotifier
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I have an emergency medical situation to deal with right now. I will review this post when I am again free. It may be a while. Thanks for the help.

I open Dolphin and from the left column, my drive information is found. When a movie is accepted it shows their with the name of the movie. I click on it and choose VLC player. But when it doesn't show up in the left column, I have to try another computer.

This morning I tried restarting my computer. The movie that would not show up, showed up. I don't know what to make of it, but it appears that the Optical Drive stops recognizing the contents of the DVDRW and has to be reinitialized. Have you ever heard of anything like that happening? If that is what is happening, do you know how I might fix the problem? Thanks friend.
          Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
          Reformat a quote - so it would be a bit easier to read:

This seems to be a problem with the libdvdnav /1/ and with the Region-code enhanced protection /2/.

The missing / not working libdvdcss should show this kind of information:

I would try to bypass the DVD menus and simply play the VOB's from the file manager - that is:

Either from the KDE device notifier /3/ or from the file manager (dolphin) 'Places' panel open the DVD.

Browse to the Video_TS directory and play / Open with a media player.

If this is not possible - then I would try with the : DVDs that won’t play in Linux, and how to make them behave - http://www.squaregoldfish.co.uk/2010...e-them-behave/ More of the playing DVDs with the Ubuntu can be found from the: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Links

1. http://dvdnav.mplayerhq.hu/
          2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
          3. http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/DeviceNotifier

Comment

I had some problems with DVDs similar to that a few years ago. The solution was to clean the DVDs with a mild dish washing detergent, rinse throughly and pat dry with Kleenex. On a couple I had to "polish" them to remove minor scratches. Techniques to polish them are given on YouTube and the Internet. Or, you can go to a computer repair shop. Many have mechanical CD/DVD washers & polishers.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi friend,
              Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I had some problems with DVDs similar to that a few years ago. The solution was to clean the DVDs with a mild dish washing detergent, rinse throughly and pat dry with Kleenex. On a couple I had to "polish" them to remove minor scratches. Techniques to polish them are given on YouTube and the Internet. Or, you can go to a computer repair shop. Many have mechanical CD/DVD washers & polishers.
              I purchased a new complete series of Stargate SG1 as well as Stargate Atlantis. I am a big fan of Science Fiction.

Anyway, I have all the necessary applications installed and have for many years. I usually open the movies from Dolphin, but they do not always appear in the column to the left. When they appear, I click on the movie, right-click and select VLC and they play. The problem is that they do not always appear. They all are pristine clean and only played a couple of times. There are no finger prints or scratches at all.

I have found a way to make the ones play that do not appear in the File Manager. I must restart the system, and then they appear and will play. It appears to me that they are not always recognized by the optical drive, but I don't understand how that works and am unable to fix it without help. Is that a possibility? In one respect, I am happy, because I am able to finally play disks that otherwise would not play, but it is troublesome to have to restart the system to get them recognized. Both optical drives are LG DVDRWs. One is just a month old, the other perhaps 6 months old. They seem to work fine except in this situation. The movies are offered by MGM Studios and should be professionally made; they were very expensive. Thanks for any additional help, my friend. I can't count the times you have made life more pleasant to me. Your help is always most appreciated.

You probably have some family living with you; I don't. Watching movies is important to those of us who have no one in our living space.

Comment

Working...
              X