Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get help for a problem with bad sound quality.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get help for a problem with bad sound quality.

I just have a general question on how to proceed with a seemingly complicated problem. I am running 12.04. The sound is choppy/disorted on any program I run or on the internet (you tube etc.) I posted in the software section of the forums for 12.04. A few folks offered suggestions but none of them worked out and then I finally just stopped getting responses. I have since tried a number of fixes I have found on the net. None of them have worked.

What is the best we to proceed? I think I need some expert help here, so what is the best way to get it? Should I try the Ubuntu forum (although since the problem there the new forum system seems to think I never existed), or is there a special Linux sound forum I should try? .

As a side note the sound is perfect in Windows 7 and just as rotten in Mint 15 as in Kubuntu 12.04. In an older version of MInt I had installed there was no sound problem with my current hardware set up. Kubuntu 12.04 is my main OS but I tried others to see what happened as a guide to a solution.

My motherboard is a ECS Z77H2-a2x. In Mint 13, 32 bit, maya, the sound is fine. In Windows 7 64 bit the sound is fine. In Kubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) the sound is distorted and choppy.

aplay -l gives:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I also did: wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && chmod +x ./alsa-info.sh && ./alsa-info.sh

The info is at: Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8a750 ... 1e6a126e30

I've tried a few fixes that I've found listed on the web/forums to no avail, including compling the latest driver from Realtek and installing it.

I think I need some expert help here.

Comment

In the end it turned out to be pretty trivial. For some reason the "Master" volume in alsamixer has to be set about halfway to cut the distortion. Most other people who post on various forums get away with it up in the red, so it was a bit misleading

Comment

Working...
      X