This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning about

Where do I go to learn about Kubuntu? My background is with Windows PCs so I will need to be taught to think like a linux user.

it might help if you could be a little more specific about that which you want to learn.

CLI?
    activities?
    widgets?
    normal desktop?

woodsmoke

Comment

HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...mentation-help
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

All of it woodsmoke, assume that I know absolutely nothing about Kubuntu an bring me up to your level of understanding of Kubuntu.

Comment

Welcome to Linux, and welcome to Kubuntu Forums.

First, I'd encourage you to read the wonderful essay Linux is NOT Windows. While some of what you know will transfer, some will not. Many newcomers get frustrated because they fail to understand that Linux is different, and some of your Windows muscle memory won't work here.

Next, spend some time getting comfortable with the command line. Linux does not try to hide this. Certain distros might attempt to, but I feel this puts users at a disadvantage. GUIs are wonderful (and KDE is the best, mmmhmm), but certain tasks simply work better in a console window.

I would also recommend the KDE User Base, which has some tutorials, and the KDE documentation.

Comment

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_Raring
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

What is a repository? What is a package? I have recently converted to Linux from Windows, so please relate these things to windows, its what I know. Is Raring Ringtail the latest version of Kubuntu, sort of like Windows 8, in the windows world? I take it that Saucy Salamander is the next version of Kubuntu, sort of like windows blue.

Comment

1) Think of a repository as being like an App Store, but everything in it is free. You'll install most (if not all) Linux software from a repository by using a package manager (e.g. Muon), rather than surfing to a web page and downloading an installer.

2) A package is shorthand for a software package. The nearest equivalent in Windows is a .msi file, or a .exe file that installs a piece of software.

3) & 4) Yes, and yes. In addition to the code names, Ubuntu (and all the flavours such as Kubuntu) use a version scheme based on the year and month it was released. Raring Ringtail is 13.04 and the next version Saucy Salamander will be 13.10 and will be followed by something alliterative beginning with the letter T in April of 2014. New versions of the OS are released every 6 months, and every 4th version is an LTS (Long Term Support) release.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Like everyone has said read documentation either online or in a book about Linux. I just did a quick search on Amazon regarding Linux which has resulted in this list consider buying one of more of these books either from Amazon or your local bookshop. And don't be scared to ask questions.

Happy learning!

Comment

Working...
                  X