Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all working well now - thanks for all your help, it was appreciated.

I have one more (probably the last) question. I want to replace Kubuntu1 (in sda2) with Kubuntu2 (currently in sda5). I'm thinking of using Clonezilla to copy sda5 into sda2, replacing the current contents. Will that work? Will Grub2 recognise the change?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Comment

Without the burden of too much knowledge I would say you could even simply copy it all.
      But you'd need to get into fstab to change the paths to the partitions before you can expect a correct boot up.
      Grub likely needs to be updated as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyjack View Post
        Will Grub2 recognise the change?
        By default grub 2 uses UUIDs to identify partitions, and if you clone a partition you clone the UUID. So, if you move a partition grub should still find it, but this can cause confusion if you have two partitions with the same UUID, as you will immediately after cloning one. (I learned that the hard way.)
        The tune2fs command can set a new UUID, as can gparted, maybe clonezilla can too.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, John Little. I didn't realise it would be so complicated.

Both Clonezilla and Gparted are on live CDs, so suppose I

A. Use GParted to re-format sda2
          B. Use Clonezilla to "copy and paste" sda5 into sda2
          C. Use GParted to turn sda4 and sda5 into a primary partition again (with a new UUID, I hope)

then boot-up, I might get away with it?

There must be an easier way......

Cheers

Comment

IMO. it's far easier to do a new install in a new partition than all the cloning rigmarole.

Please Read Me

Comment

I must agree with oshunluvr, a new install takes 15 minutes, 30 at most but that's all with a reasonably fast internet connection.
              You should realy have a dedicated /home partition, you can copy your existing /home to a new partition and then do a new install without the need for tricky edits.

Comment

Teunis/oshunluvr, the reason I didn't want to do it this way was that I've spent the last week or so tinkering with Kubuntu2 in my spare time, to get it where I want it.

Luckily, I've been able to use Clonezilla to make the change, as I outlined above. The only hiccup was, I had to edit the saved image (of Kubuntu2). It contained references to the original partition, that won't let it be restored to a different partition unless you change them.

OK, it's not been the simplest or most efficient way of doing things, but it's been a learning exercise, as much as anything else.

Thanks for everybody's help, and patience.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jollyjack View Post
                  The only hiccup was, I had to edit the saved image (of Kubuntu2). It contained references to the original partition, that won't let it be restored to a different partition unless you change them.
                  Which references were those? I'm really curious.

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    Which references were those? I'm really curious.

Regards, John Little
                    I found the information in the Clonezilla FAQ. So easy when you know how....

http://drbl.org/faq/fine-print.php?p..._partition.faq

Comment

Working...
                    X