This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
    Nope. the dot (./) means current working directory, as in ./JES.sh (run JES.sh from current working directory, needed because it's not in $PATH)...it's not needed when using an absolute path.
    Hmmm...didnt know that

Comment

thankyou so much, that works great!
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
        3. I frequently need to know app commands, yet they're ridiculously hard to get hold of... The only way I know of for finding out the command is googling it and hoping some documentation comes up. Is there any other way?
        Presumably, you mean something like how typing kcalc would bring up the calculator. In Linux, executable files are almost always stored in a folder called bin, for "binary." Now, there can many bins on a system. To find all of yours, try this command:
        Code:
        sudo find / -type d -iname 'bin'
        The important ones are /bin, used by the operating system during and after boot, and /usr/bin, used by the operating system and the desktop environment after boot. As you browse these subdirectories, you can see the names of executable programs. But you will need a vague idea of what to look for, because the name of an executable might not always have an obvious relationship to its application. For example, kcmshell4 is the executable that starts the various settings programs in System Settings. Not overly intuitive, that one.

Can you provide an example or to of what you're trying to find? Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your question.

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
        4. How can I make Kubuntu recognise my mic and webcam? There might be some hardware compatibility issues here as I'm running it as a VM on an iMac... I'd just like to see something when I open up Kamoso. Kamerka actually gives me an error ('Cannot connect to V4L device').
        What system bus does your webcam reside on? It's probably on USB, but I know nothing about Mac hardware, so I really can't say for sure. Let's assume that it is. Have you told VirtualBox to pass USB devices from the host to the guest?

Comment

3. You understood my question. I know apps often don't have intuitive commands, but what you told me should help.

4. I have no idea what bus it's on. I also have no idea if I've told VB to pass it to the guest! There's not much under the 'usb' tab. I have usb controller and usb 2.0 controller enabled, and a filter that doesn't filter anything (in other words, all USB devices allowed.) Everything in the 'serial ports' tab is greyed out.
          "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Give yourself a half-dozen of those empty device filters. It could be that VirtualBox is grabbing a device higher in the USB hierarchy and assigning it to the one empty filter.

Comment

tried that, but it's still giving me the 'could not connect to v4l device' error. There is probably another setting somewhere that needs changing, I'll keep looking into it.

Comment

Working...
              X