This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startup

I do not unerstand the terms that would be used for Kubuntu, so I will use the windows terms and hope that I am not miss-understood. How do I add applications to Kubuntu's startup group? What is the correct terms for Kubuntu?

Kmenu > System Settings > Startup and Shutdown

Related: In that same section, look at Session Management and the options to restore the previous session.

Comment

Restore Previous Session will start all the programs that you had running when you shut your computer down.
      if you do not want this (its the default behavior) you can change it to start with new session.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Actually I have a program at needs to be added to the startup group. In windows I simply drag the icon to the startup group and drop it on the group, how does kubuntu do this?
        Last edited by jbcohen; Jul 28, 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

system settings>auto start>add program.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have no auto start command, that may be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jbcohen View Post
              I have no auto start command, that may be the problem.
              Could you please explain what you mean by this?

Please Read Me

Comment

I think the problem is more likely that you're thinking like a windows user instead of a linux user. Additionally, you've not responded directly to any of the suggestions that have been made. If you want help, you're going to have to "try things our way" and take the steps the others have suggested and then report back with your results.

First of all - having programs automatically start when you log in is not a "command" per se, rather it's a condition. Either a program autostarts or it doesn't.

To have a program autostart, try one of the above things or link (or copy but link is better) your desired applications' .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart or to ~/.kde/Autostart. AFAIK. both locations work - at least they do here.

One of the many wonderful differences Linux has over Windows: There is almost always more than one way to do something. Pick the one that works best or is easiest for you and stick with it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I found the session manager however it does not allow to add an application to startup. I tried a a terminal prompt entering ~/.config/autostart that did nothing, I tried system tray/.config/autostart that did nothing. I tried system setting>auto start however there is no auto start.

Comment

system settings -> start up /shutdown -> autostart

then use the add program button to add a program. if its in your menu you can select it to autostart.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by jbcohen View Post
                      I found the session manager however it does not allow to add an application to startup. I tried a a terminal prompt entering ~/.config/autostart that did nothing, I tried system tray/.config/autostart that did nothing. I tried system setting>auto start however there is no auto start.
                      Yes, entering ~/.config/autostart in a terminal would do nothing as it's a folder location, not a command. My suggestion was to put or link your desired autostart program(s) into it. Again - this isn't windows. Windows terminal assumes a location when entered means go there. Linux bash does not.

If you open dolphin (the file manager) and click on the URL bar, then enter the above location, it should open it. If it doesn't exist (which it may not) entering ~/.config should open that folder. Then you can create your autostart folder and continue.

If you're interested in learning Linux bash terminal commands, I suggest a web search for a list or tutorial is in order. Here's a couple to get you started:

cd <TARGET DIRECTORY> = Change Directory: changes location to the target directory.
                      ls = List Files: Lists the files in the current directory
                      man <SOME COMMAND> = show the Manual page: displays the help file for some command.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X