Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable get Kubuntu 13.04 started after making Catalyst Control Center Settings

** This portion is an edit of my first post that is below. I have continued to research the problem. I believe that my screen resolution is the problem, however, I am unable to even boot to a liveCD. My system is dual-boot with Windows 7, and both monitors work properly when I am booted to Win7, but when I boot to Kubuntu 13.04, the right screen works fine, but the left screen has an Input Not Supported message. I also tried safe mode using 2 different safe-boot-methods, but the problem continued the same. I can get to a "grub>" prompt, but have looked at all the possibilities and do not know what to choose or how to use the correct command if I chose correctly. Need a super guru if possible. Thanks!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Something caused my dual-monitor settings to change. The screens were like clones. I no longer could move the cursor from one screen to the other. In fact each monitor had its own cursor; both moved in the same fashion when the mouse was moved.

I opened the Catalyst Control Center "Administrator" and configured for multiple monitors. When I restarted to confirm the new settings, the left monitor has a moving box that says that the left monitor is not enabled. The right monitor continues to function, but the system does not continue to open. How can I open my Kubuntu OS so that I can attempt to correct the Catalyst settings? Thanks!

Dual Boot/Kubuntu 13.04/Windows 7
    AMD 8 core processor
    16GB DDR3 1866 RAM
    256GB SSD
    2TB 6GBs HDD
    22" Acer monitor
    27.5" View Sonic monitor
    2ea DDRW optical Drives
    2GB DDR5 Video Card
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jul 27, 2013, 03:29 AM. Reason: new information

I have had this problem happen so many times now that I simply refuse to install catalyst. I am using a pretty basic computer and two monitors. One is running on DVI and the other on VGA out of the same built in mainboard graphics.
    Processor: AMD E-350
    Graphics: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6310

Everything seems to work fast enough and once in a while I forget and install "Additional Drivers". Basically that screws everything up - every time. Same problem as you describe with my multiple monitor setup and I have never yet found a way to fix it. Has been happening to me over several releases of KDE/Kubuntu.

I tried uninistalling Catalyst as well, but that doesn't seem possible. Only a full reinstall of my system seems to get things working.

I know this post is not a solution. Just letting you know there are others with the same problem and it is not limited to the latest KDE.

Cheers,

RossD.

Comment

Dear Ross,

My situation is further complicated. Fortunately I have Win7 installed in a dual-boot configuration, so I am able to get online. Nonetheless, when I attempt to boot to the optical drive to re-install the OS, my computer now bypasses the Optical Drive and opens normally. The rub is that when I get the Kubuntu page just prior to the login screen, the left monitor has a window that moves around like a screen saver that states that the device is not supported. The right screen stays in a stall position and I am unable to get my LiveCD to install.

I have been waiting quite a while now. No one seems to have any advice. I am lucky to have Win7 available, but it is so substandard to kubuntu it is almost unendurable. Here I am with the most cutting edge new machine I have ever had, and I can't get it to work. (It did work for a few months.)

Comment

Unplug the 'extra' monitor before booting and attempting to install. Or have you already attempted that?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Please don;t think I am 'talking down' to you when I suggest this.

If your computer is ignoring the optical drive, chances are it is not set in BIOS as the 'first boot device'.
          You might try checking in BIOS and changing that.

Alternatively, oOn most computers there is a key that will allow you to choose a boot device when you are booting. It is often F8 or F11 but could be any of them. You can find it in your BIOS instruction in your mainboard manual.

Once you have tried that you might be lucky and boot from the optical drive.

Comment

Again you are a lifesaver, my friend. I am unable to find the installation CD for my ACER monitor. Nonetheless, when I disconnected it, the system continued and booted my ViewSonic monitor. When I reattached the ACER monitor hopinig that the Kubuntu OS would handle reinstallation, the same problem came again. Do you happen to know if this is still an installation problem for the ACER monitor, or is it a monitor gone bad (and is there a way to check the monitor to see). Still I can't tell you how happy I am to have Kubuntu operational again. You don't realize how important it is to you until it is no longer available, and you are required to use a substandard OS. Even still, I am glad I had the Win7 OS to get me through the problem. I am a happy camper again, saved by one of the great ones.
            Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Unplug the 'extra' monitor before booting and attempting to install. Or have you already attempted that?
            Dear Snowhog, I tried restarting with the LiveCD in the optical drive. I entered the Boot order to be sure the Optical Drive was chosen. Nevertheless, the Optical Drive was bypassed and the computer opened using the normal boot process. Next I re-attached the monitor and restarted. I still tried to open using the Optical Drive. The DVDRW was bypassed and the system opened in the normal manner. The right screen opened normally, and although the left screen was open for the Login step, when the system opened, the left screen was black.

Each time I have a problem anymore, I am surprised to find that I never seem to run out of new previously unrecognized problems. I don't know how you guys keep up with this stuff. Thanks if the new information is useful in your diagnosis. Most Cordially, Shabakthanai
            Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 06, 2013, 05:37 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Snowhog fixed my monitor problem, but in answer to your reply, yes, I did try all the things you suggest, and thanks for reminding me. Many times it is something I should have thought of that would have resolved a problem. The fact that I already remembered your suggestions is a minor miracle in itself. I am prone to making the kind of mistake that you provided solution for, and I am very grateful for your help. Anytime I am troubled and you think I may have failed to do something I should know, please include your comments. I will be as grateful as I am when it is the solution to my problem. Now, even though I no longer need to reinstall, I am going to see if the Optical Drive will activate. Perhaps something in the monitor problem is what made that happen. They happened at the same time. Cudos, friend.
              Originally posted by rossdv8 View Post
              Please don;t think I am 'talking down' to you when I suggest this.

If your computer is ignoring the optical drive, chances are it is not set in BIOS as the 'first boot device'.
              You might try checking in BIOS and changing that.

Alternatively, oOn most computers there is a key that will allow you to choose a boot device when you are booting. It is often F8 or F11 but could be any of them. You can find it in your BIOS instruction in your mainboard manual.

Once you have tried that you might be lucky and boot from the optical drive.

Comment

Dear Snowhog, Since I have been able to get Kubuntu to open with only one monitor, I have not tried your suggestion. I am curious. Do you know if reinstallation is now unnecessary? Can the dual monitor situation be repaired without re-installation of the OS? After thinking when I am answering your repply, I think I will attempt your suggestion, but if it works, I will not re-install Kubuntu unless I get further advice. Thanks for the help, friend.

Comment

I already tried that without success.

Comment

I am abandoning this post. I have re-installed my older GForce GPU and it works OK. Dual-monitor functions properly; I just give up some picture quality and speed capability. Thanks to all for trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X