Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to install, keyboard & mouse not detected.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to install, keyboard & mouse not detected.

Hey all. This is my first time installing any linux distro outside of a VM, and I'm still rather new to (k)ubuntu in general so I'm posting this in the new guy section.

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 13.04 along side my Windows 7 partition, however once the install screen comes up, my keyboard and mouse stop working leaving me unable to even begin the installation process. I've tried 12.04 as well, same result. The keyboard and mouse work fine in the BIOS, but once my machine loads the livecd, they stop working.

Here's my hardware:
    Code:
    Keyboard: 
    Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlighting Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: 
    Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

Motherboard:
    GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor:
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2 GHz

Video card:
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

RAM:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I checked my BIOS settings and Legacy USB support is enabled, so I'm not sure what to do next. Here are some pictures of my bios settings if it helps any:
    http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1849/8540.png
    http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9866/65tw.png
    http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4584/h6l7.png

Thanks.

If the keyboard and mouse aren't recognized with a LiveCD/USB, and you confirmed that Legacy USB support is enabled, then they (keyboard/mouse) may be two 'new'. There is another possibility for you to check. Do you have USB2.0 ports on your PC? If you do, plug the keyboard and mouse into those and try. If you don't have the slower USB ports, or you do and the devices still aren't detected, find an older 'normal' keyboard and mouse to try.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      If the keyboard and mouse aren't recognized with a LiveCD/USB, and you confirmed that Legacy USB support is enabled, then they (keyboard/mouse) may be two 'new'. There is another possibility for you to check. Do you have USB2.0 ports on your PC? If you do, plug the keyboard and mouse into those and try. If you don't have the slower USB ports, or you do and the devices still aren't detected, find an older 'normal' keyboard and mouse to try.
      The USB ports I'm using are USB 2.0. I've tried different ports, both in front and back of the machine, same result. I also tried an older standard usb keyboard and mouse and they didn't work either.

Comment

Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging the keyboard and mouse after X starts?

Also: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKeyboardDetection (you will need a PS/2 keyboard)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging the keyboard and mouse after X starts?

Also: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKeyboardDetection (you will need a PS/2 keyboard)
          Yup, I tried reconnecting both, didn't help,

As for the link, how can I submit that bug report from the LiveCD? (cant save files when on livecd I don't think)

---

I wrote down the output of 'lsusb' (without -v as that would take ages to write on paper)
          Code:
          Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
          Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
          Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
          Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
          Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
          Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
          Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
          Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
          Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
          Bus 010 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
          Bus 011 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
          I also connected a different USB keyboard after that, and I got this:
          Code:
          usb 4-5: device descriptor read/64, error -32
          usb 4-5: device not accepting address 4, error -32
          usb 4-5: device not accepting address 5, error -32
          hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port: 5

Comment

You appear to have no USB devices on your machine. I think you're going to have to work through those troubleshooting steps I linked earlier.

Comment

Working...
            X