This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu won't use usb headset

So I have a usb logitech headset. In system settings I set the headset to default, the problem is that no applications actually use the headset without me specifically telling that program to use the headset in its own preferences menu. It creates a problem with things like steam games, or clemintine music player, which refuse to use the headset.

For steam games, I don't know, but this seems to be specifically a clementine issue. It is the only audio program I have that does this. Amarok, skype, etc all follow what I have set in Phonon. I suspect steam games might be the same.

Comment

I have disabled the hardware sound from my motherboard and Phonon will default to my G35.

Code:
      pat@PatsToy:~$ lsmod | less
      Module                  Size  Used by
      snd_usb_audio         140685  2 
      snd_usbmidi_lib        24938  1 snd_usb_audio
      snd_hwdep              13602  1 snd_usb_audio
      snd_pcm                97451  4 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
      I then added

Code:
      # Sound drivers I really don't want
      blacklist snd_hda_codec_hdmi
      blacklist snd_hda_codec
      blacklist snd_hda_intel
      to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and rebooted. My internal hda (gf116) and two different NVIDIA audio drivers were removed

Code:
      pat@PatsToy:~$ lsmod | less
      Module                  Size  Used by
      snd_usb_audio         140685  2 
      snd_usbmidi_lib        24938  1 snd_usb_audio
      snd_hwdep              13602  1 snd_usb_audio
      snd_pcm                97451  1 snd_usb_audio
      Last edited by Buddlespit; Jul 19, 2013, 07:49 PM. Reason: you prolly want more info...
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I'm not in Kubuntu at the moment so I can't double-check this, but you might have better luck using pavucontrol instead of phonon to set your headphones as the output device.
        He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Comment

I still don't like how pulseaudio works in KDE. I've tried it in xfce and lxde and I far prefer the 'look.'

I have sound but often have to turn it up and then later I eventually experience 'loud' sound suddenly. Then, it seems to go back. I still haven't found a solution and I've asked about it but couldn't find any good suggestions.

I use a logitech clearchat headset. I'm only tolerating it for now. Good luck with it.

Comment

Veromix, a replacement for KMix, provides much better control over Phonon. I use it to route input to and output from my VoIP software through my USB headset.

Install the package plasma-widget-veromix. Then, edit ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and set Autostart to false. Finally, remove KMix and add Veromix to your system tray.

Comment

Thanks guys I tried pulseaudio and Veromix and it seems much better now
              Last edited by Falc7; Jul 25, 2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X