Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-existing file in .Trash on media player can't be deleted, but still shows...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-existing file in .Trash on media player can't be deleted, but still shows...

Hi,

I am using 13.04 on a quad core. I have connected a Mede8er MED1000X3D media player and it shows files in the trash that cannot be deleted (because they don't exist). What to do?

You can delete the contents of ~/.local/share/Trash. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo rm ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*
    sudo rm ~/.local/share/Trash/info/*
    sudo rm ~/.local/share/Trash/metadata
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

These .Trash files are on the device, correct? You may have to use commands similar to what Snowhog gave to delete these pesky bits from there as opposed to your local hard drive. Are you unable to delete things using the devices UI? --never mind on the UI maybe, it looks like XBMC, or at least can look very much like it.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        These .Trash files are on the device, correct? You may have to use commands similar to what Snowhog gave to delete these pesky bits from there as opposed to your local hard drive. Are you unable to delete things using the devices UI? --never mind on the UI maybe, it looks like XBMC, or at least can look very much like it.
        They don't show up on the device's file browser. In fact, I only noticed when Kubuntu reported that some files couldn't be deleted from the Trash bin. I did a search and the files weren't even there...

I will try the commands the previous poster suggested when I get home from work...

Comment

Originally posted by hansdevr View Post
          it shows files in the trash that cannot be deleted (because they don't exist).
          You are trying to perform an operation that will cause a rift in the space-time continuum. Much like I did in an early internal-only alpha build of Vista, when I accidentally put the recycle bin inside itself. Building 27 nearly got sucked into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            You are trying to perform an operation that will cause a rift in the space-time continuum. Much like I did in an early internal-only alpha build of Vista, when I accidentally put the recycle bin inside itself. Building 27 nearly got sucked into the ground.
            heh heh heh heh...

Comment

The files are on the device's hard drive (NTFS). Ppl on the mede8er forum advised me to hook it up to a MS Win7 machine using USB3, which would them automatically initialise a disk check and repair the - apparently faulty - file system on the mede8er. Since I don't have Win7, I am looking for answers here. Snowhog's commands didn't work, by the way.

Comment

Ugh...NTFS might present some challenges.

With the device mounted, please open a console window and run
                Code:
                ls -al [i]/path/to/mount/location[/i]
                where /path/to/mount/location is, well, the path to the mount location of the device. You can check this in Dolphin. Most likely, it'll be something under /media. Copy-pasta the output of that command into a reply here. Let's take a look.

Comment

Working...
                X