This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accessing firmware settings from a computer with an SSD

I don't have a solid state drive, but I was curious about this from a theoretical perspective.

So Windows 8 computers make it so that you have to first boot into Windows in order to access the uefi settings. I read that this is (allegedly) because now there are computers with solid state hard drives that boot so fast that there isn't enough time for a human reaction to push "F2."

So...

(1) Let's say you have what was once a "Windows 8 computer" that was then wiped of all traces of Windows and has just linux on it. How, then, do you access the firmware settings? (given that, as I understand it, you can only do so when you first boot into windoze)
    (2) If you have a computer that never had windows on it but has a solid state drive with (say) linux installed, and it boots too fast for you to be able to hit F2, then how can you access the firmware settings?

sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum section...
    I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Fast Boot is a UEFI feature that's unrelated to SSDs. Matthew Garrett explains it and how to work around it.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Steve! That was an interesting read.

However, the part I didn't understand was:

Is there a way to permanently change the amount of hardware that gets initialized before boot, or do you need to keep a windoze partition just to be able to get into the firmware settings?
      I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

If you can do something to force the system to enter the UEFI setup menu, then you can:

1. Disable Fast Boot
        2. Remove all Windows partitions

Matthew Garrett mentions pulling the hard drive. There are probably other methods, too. Googling for "disable fast boot" might be useful.

Comment

Thanks.

For those reading this who are interested, here are instructions I found for disabling "fast boot":
          http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
          I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Working...
          X