X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome sitting behind KDE

Hi

I first installed ubuntu, and then the kde-desktop from synaptic.
    Now I use KDE. However I notice that sometimes when shutting down, the gnome desktop appears for a second.

Does the gnome desktop stay up, behind the KDE desktop ?

No.

When you power on the computer, GRUB (the boot manager) loads the kernel and the initramfs, which in turn mounts the root file system. After all that's done, the display manager (LightDM for all *buntu variants) loads the X Window server and presents the logon screen. After you type your credentials, the display manager starts an X session, using the session type you indicated -- which is KDE.

Can you describe in more detail the "gnome desktop" that you see? Regular Ubuntu doesn't include GNOME now.

Comment

when I click shutdown in KDE menu, when the icons are just about to dissappear, for a fraction of a second the gnome desktop with its wallpaper and large sized icons appears.
      and then kde shutdowns.

Comment

I am flummoxed. Based on your description, GNOME isn't even installed, so I have no idea where this ghost might have come from.

Comment

ofcourse gnome is installed, i first installed normal ubuntu (that with gnome 3 shell). then installed kde from apt-get

Comment

Originally posted by silver_moon View Post
            ofcourse gnome is installed, i first installed normal ubuntu (that with gnome 3 shell). then installed kde from apt-get
            No, that's not correct. "Normal Ubuntu" doesn't install GNOME 3 or GNOME Shell. Instead, it installs Unity, Ubuntu's own desktop environment. You must have installed the GNOME 3 files at some point. Or perhaps you installed the GNOME flavor of Ubuntu, called Ubuntu GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              No, that's not correct. "Normal Ubuntu" doesn't install GNOME 3 or GNOME Shell. Instead, it installs Unity, Ubuntu's own desktop environment. You must have installed the GNOME 3 files at some point. Or perhaps you installed the GNOME flavor of Ubuntu, called Ubuntu GNOME.
              Originally posted by silver_moon View Post
              I can only agree with what SteveRiley has posted. Have a look to see what -desktop or plymouth- packages you have installed.

I have run all the major *buntu flavours in the last couple of months and I can quite definitely say that I have never had any problems with the start-up or shut-down screens unless multiple versions of those (similar) packages are installed.

Comment

Working...
              X