Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an easy way to change the default in grub?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an easy way to change the default in grub?

1st post, so please be kind Is there a program to change boot priorities in grub? All this "sodo grub/menu.lst" confuses the HELL out of me! If Linux fans want to encourage people to move over then there must be a way to do stuff like this. I would like to use Kubuntu more and tell my friends to move but when you install Kubuntu it becomes the default OS Surely you should get the option of which OS is default.
    PS I am NO fan of windows

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.

Please tell us about your PC. What version of Windows are you running (Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, ...)? If Windows 8, did the PC come with it pre-installed or did you upgrade to it? What version of Kubuntu did you install?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Since it's your first post you need to read the forum guidelines and the tips stickied in the "Help The New Guy" forum so you'll know how to compose a more helpful initial post. You'll get much better response with a really good title and complete details in your initial topic post.

There's a couple ways to change the default boot in grub. There is a grub config tool in System Manager (that you may have to install and I'm not a kubuntu box but it's called "grub customizer" or similar) and you can select a default boot there. Or you can edit /etc/default/grub as root. There you will see a line that says GRUB_DEFAULT=0. You can change this to another number to indicate which line to auto-select in your boot list or you can enter the exact title from the boot menu within quotes instead of a number.

If you need to know how to do this, post back. I don't want to go through it if the grub customizer works for you.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you are looking for a GUI way of modifying grub boot defaults (assuming you're using a fairly recent kubuntu version with GRUB2), you can install package 'kde-config-grub2' which will put a graphical grub editor in SystemSettings>Startup&Shutdown>GRUB2Bootloader.

Since I assume you are new to linux, a word of warning....don't change things if you don't understand what they do.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply Win 7 pre installed on a Samsung laptop. Kubuntu 13.04 installed from ISO downloaded from Kubuntu website. I did manage to update using the package manager (I cant remember the name its an age thing ) There was a problem with that though, I had to use the update from the menu. When I tried to use the manager it was all greyed out.
          It was muon

Comment

OK guys I will reboot into Linux and have a look see

Comment

Thank you very much for that. I think that it should be installed by default and run the first time that you boot into Linux. The main reason that I am still using win7 is for my combat flight sim stuff (TrackIR Saitek joystick profiles and the games wont be ported. I know about wine and Il-2 Sturmovik runs faster in Linux then Windows but its the other stuff that is essential for me)

Comment

Worked like a charm Any way to stop Windows having a hissy fit about the Linux file system?

Comment

"...hissy fit..."

What exactly is Windows complaining about?
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I will reboot and tell you

Comment

It wanted to run CHKDSK. I let it and its OK now. My BAD

Comment

Yeah, windows will whine a lot if you re-size it. Usually a single chkdsk will fix.

Oh and BTW: Welcome to KFN and the wonderful world of Linux!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                          Since I assume you are new to linux, a word of warning....don't change things if you don't understand what they do.
                          Bugger*, so that's where I go wrong...

Regards, John Little

*Aus/kiwi slang for sh*t
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                            Bugger*, so that's where I go wrong...

I was referring to grub editing, but I guess that could be taken as general advice. When you get a feel for the system, you tend to develop a fairly good (but not perfect...been there, done that) sense of which things you can change just for the heck of it and which things you need to read up on first.

P.S. I'm aware you know your way around

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Yeah, windows will whine a lot if you re-size it
                            It just doesn't want to share it's room with the little sister..."hissy fit" seems fairly accurate
                            Last edited by kubicle; Jun 30, 2013, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X