Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a shell command to show the installed operating systems of a dual boot detai

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a shell command to show the installed operating systems of a dual boot detai

Is there a konsole command that will reveal the Operating System details of a dual-boot computer? I have a dual-boot computer. I was reading one of the newbie posts where he is having difficulty getting the new kubuntu installation to show as a boot option.

It occurred to me that I did not know how to verify if an installation, having difficulty, was actually installed. His dual boot is win7 and kubuntu. Is there a command that will reveal all installed operating systems?

If I could pass this information on to him/her, they could confirm that the installation was successful and then look for why it did not show in the boot menu.

I have installed dual-boot systems without having any difficulty; apparently his win7 OS was already installed, so the proper order of installation seems correct.

I'm not sure I understand your question. How can your friend run a shell script if all he can do is boot into Win7?

Your best option would be to go over and help out your friend in person, of course. Barring that, why don't you recommend a live CD -- specifically, one like Linux Secure Remix?

Although it boots to Unity, not KDE, it includes an easy to use program named Boot-Repair, with which your friend can install GRUB to his MBR. But before your friend even does that, he could run the file manager, mount the Kubuntu partition, and look at its contents. (He could most likely install Boot-Repair while running a live Kubuntu CD; see the link for PPA details.)

Although there's really no way to tell if Kubuntu's been successfully installed until you actually boot into it.

Comment

Working...
    X