This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with connecting a printer?

Hi I am trying to connect to a Cannon MG1650 printer to my network.

I connected this printer/scanner to my network at home sometime ago and my Windows PCs can print and scan to it fine.

The printer is connected to my network via a WiFI connection to my network hub.

My Kubuntu PC is connected to the same network and can share files with my PC's successfully using SMB.

I now wish to be able to print and scan from it from my Kubuntu Machine.

When I go to:

Start menu>computer.system settings>printers>click here to add a new printer

I get the dialogue box which indicates it has found my printer but from this point on I am stomped.

I am not even sure this is the best way to connect this printer?

Can someone give me or point to some step by step instructions suitable for an absolute beginner to connect this printer?scanner?

I found these resources for my Cannon printer online

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...ownload&page=1

But I don't know if I should be using them in some way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by absolute beginner; Jun 23, 2013, 06:06 PM.

I also am not to expert, however, I believe what you need to do is click on the Network-Printers link, If I am not mistaken, you will get a list of printers. Find the one that matches your printer and click on it. Next a list of drivers will appear. When you select the driver for your printer, it should set up your printer with your computer. This may not work, but you have connections for your network that may differ from mine. Nonetheless, attempt a test print after this has been done. Additionally, you may have to use an ethernet or USB direct connection between your printer any your computer to complete the installation. After it is properly installed, you should be able to disconnect the ethernet cable or USB cable and test again. If it works, you are set. Kubuntu has most of the proper drivers in the system. I would not have attempted helping you, but you don't seem to be getting any help, and my solution may work for you. I do not believe it can harm anything by trying.
    Originally posted by absolute beginner View Post
    Hi I am trying to connect to a Cannon MG1650 printer to my network.

I connected this printer/scanner to my network at home sometime ago and my Windows PCs can print and scan to it fine.

The printer is connected to my network via a WiFI connection to my network hub.

My Kubuntu PC is connected to the same network and can share files with my PC's successfully using SMB.

I now wish to be able to print and scan from it from my Kubuntu Machine.

When I go to:

Start menu>computer.system settings>printers>click here to add a new printer

I get the dialogue box which indicates it has found my printer but from this point on I am stomped.

I am not even sure this is the best way to connect this printer?

Can someone give me or point to some step by step instructions suitable for an absolute beginner to connect this printer?scanner?

I found these resources for my Cannon printer online

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...ownload&page=1

But I don't know if I should be using them in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      I also am not to expert, however, I believe what you need to do is click on the Network-Printers link, If I am not mistaken, you will get a list of printers. Find the one that matches your printer and click on it. Next a list of drivers will appear. When you select the driver for your printer, it should set up your printer with your computer. This may not work, but you have connections for your network that may differ from mine.

Thanks for your help. When I click on the 'add printer' link I see my printer listed under Other network Printers as per the attached image but I can't proceed any further than this as the 'next' button is not highlighted

Can anyone guide me on the next step?Click image for larger version

Name:	Add_printer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	640394

Comment

You might need to start up the System Settings with sudo:
        Code:
        sudo systemsettings

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          You might need to start up the System Settings with sudo:
          Code:
          sudo systemsettings
          Be careful with that, running this with kdesudo can screw permissions such that you can't use System Settings without admin privileges.

My first thought is, from the graphic, is to click the "Network Printers" link (in blue) to get the uri as mentioned, then use the "Manual uri" option.

Another option is to use the cups web interface to set up your printer, or at least see some information about things:

this is really really old, but follow this from step #5 to see if that gets you anywhere. The rest of the things on this page are quite likely out of date

Comment

I have two wireless network printers, a HP and a Brother. I have found that the easiest way to setup these printers is have them use a static IP address and then I use the IP address in the CUPS interface to install the printers. I set them up by choosing ipp and entering ipp://PrinterIP in the box. In order to set them up with a static IP you will have to temporarily connect the printer with USB or ethernet and then enter the printer settings interface in a browser. I don't have a Canon printer to experiment with but you should be able to find the interface address in the documentation. After setting up the wireless to connect with a static IP you then disconnect the printer and restart it and it should connect to your wireless router.

Comment

Fixed:

I installed a new Ubuntu machine on the network and the set up to the same printer was very straight forward.

I then copied the URI settings below (which the Ubuntu install automatically discovered) to my Kubuntu machine and hey presto!

lpd://192.168.1.106/PASSTHRU

Comment

Working...
              X