This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with graphics

So I am trying to get my driver for my ZOTAC ZT-40503-10L GeForce GTS 450 Video Card linux driver to work. Every time I try to activate it and I restart and come back its still listed as being deactivate and the original one is active. Help? I really knew to linux

Your not giving much in the way of info. How did you install the driver? Which driver? Which driver is the "original" one?

Please Read Me

Comment

Please read >>> PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING IN HELP THE NEW GUY <<<
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What release of Kubuntu you are using.
        Don't know? Press Alt+F2 then type konsole and at the prompt type cat /etc/lsb-release | grep DISTRIB_RELEASE=
        If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
        What version of KDE you are using.
        Don't know? Press Alt+F2 then type dolphin then click on Help > About KDE
        What version of Grub you are using.
        Don't know? Press Alt+F2 then type konsole and at the prompt type apt-cache show grub | grep ersion
        What other Operating Systems are installed.

I tried the above commands to get the Distro version and what not and it keeps saying no such file or directory. I know I am runing KDE 12.04 fresh instal.
        Information about your PC:

Type Desktop
        CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX (idk if its 64 bit or not)

GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) ZOTAC ZT-40503-10L GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

RAM (how much installed) 12 gb
        HDs SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
        Optical Drives SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM (havent tested since installing it)
        Mother board
        MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Ok I can not see any of the drivers related to my video card. And none of the ones listed will stay selected after reboot What I see is pictured below

Comment

bump....Help?

Comment

Those drivers are all related to your video card. I believe the green dot shows the 304 driver is active. What is it you are trying to do? Is the current driver not working well enough for you or are you having video problems? If not, why change drivers?

Open up Konsole again; Here's some commands that will give you more info:

This will show you what nvidia related packages you have installed: dpkg -l |grep nvidia

Sample output (my system is 13.04 so the versions will vary):
            Code:
            ii  libkwinnvidiahack4                    4:4.10.3-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu13.04            amd64        library used by nvidia cards for the KDE window managerii  nvidia-313-updates                    313.30-0ubuntu1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
            ii  nvidia-common                         1:0.2.76                                   amd64        transitional package for ubuntu-drivers-common
            ii  nvidia-settings-313-updates           313.30-0ubuntu1                            amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
            This will show you what driver you're running: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Driver

Sample output:
            Code:
            [600242.672]    X.Org Video Driver: 13.1[600242.707]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
            [600242.707] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  313.30  Wed Mar 27 15:33:21 PDT 2013
            [600242.707] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
            [600243.630]    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
            This will show you which drivers are installed: dkms status

Sample output:
            Code:
            nvidia-313-updates, 313.30, 3.8.0-22-generic, x86_64: installed
            nvidia-313-updates, 313.30, 3.8.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed
            nvidia-313-updates, 313.30, 3.8.0-25-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox, 4.2.10, 3.8.0-22-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox, 4.2.10, 3.8.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox, 4.2.10, 3.8.0-25-generic, x86_64: installed
            If you want to test your performance, install and run gtkperf:

sudo apt-get install gtkperf
            gtkperf -a

Sample output:
            Code:
            GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Sun Jun 23 08:56:42 2013

GtkEntry - time:  0.00
            GtkComboBox - time:  0.75
            GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  0.54
            GtkSpinButton - time:  0.15
            GtkProgressBar - time:  0.13
            GtkToggleButton - time:  0.10
            GtkCheckButton - time:  0.04
            GtkRadioButton - time:  0.14
            GtkTextView - Add text - time:  0.20
            GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  0.16
            GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  0.27
            GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  0.34
            GtkDrawingArea - Text - time:  0.18
            GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  0.06
             --- 
            Total time:  3.06

Quitting..

Please Read Me

Comment

I have been trying to get my audio and video to run through it. The computer claims it can only use the analog audio and not the HD and the video is suposed to come out of my HDMI port and work on my tv screen but it doesn't. So I have no idea why....

Comment

Well, your original subject and post have nothing to do with either of these issues. Re-read the link Snowhog posted and read the one in my signature below and start a new post. You're not likely to get any help here.

You can't expect any help at all if you can't describe your problem or give details about your system.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok. Someone that knows more about computers than me said it was the graphics card that was the issue with linux and to ask about it. but I will try it again.

Comment

Working...
                  X