This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossover question

If I spend money on getting the Crossover software to import my Windows software is this application worth getting/buying?

Also, I am alittle petrified to try to install my windows software over there because I don't know much about the OS.

How exactly do I use the program and where do I download the file(s) to on/in my new OS?

Then how do I install the software (easiest way)?

what are the specific windows programs you want to use. chances are unless its very specialized software or a game there is a linux version already. you can find some examples of these programs here there are of course many more.

as for crossOver you might want to try Wine Frist. start by checking the app database for Wine and you will see what works and what does not (crossover is built on top of wine)

to install wine you use muon (package manager) to install it.

sideNote: you will almost never need to download from a web page. the benefit of the Repository Based System is that all of your updates come from one place and all the programs you need to install are found in one place. if you can not find the software your looking for in the repos you may need to add a PPA (personal Package Archive) that contains the programs you are looking for. for example i have a PPA where i put my software and a few other programs that i help with. this makes it easier for users to get the software and updates quickly as well as built for their specific release version of *ubuntu.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Also in the repos is "Play On Linux" that provides wine settings and install parameters for various Windows software. It's worth looking at.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am trying to install Windows Office applications as well as Onenote 2012. I would love to be able to play my Steam games as well. Like Star Trek Online. But, I'm a virgin
        to Kubuntu, (which I love so far) and need to learn how to get around in the OS. I wanted to start my learning process by starting out by installing software and then going from there. BTW.what does repos mean?

Comment

For Office programs you can use Libre Office (already installed) or Open Office. for Onenote there are lots of note taking applications. There is steam for linux not sure if star trek online is a game offered or not.

Repos - Software Repository (i.e can find w/ muon and install)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X