This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I find

a listing of file extensions and their definitions?

Like windows :

.exe
    .doc
    .txt

etc. I am a newbie and just starting to learn Linux now. I have Windows down but I hate them and always wanted to learn Linux.
    Also, can I install my windows programs on my Kubuntu too? Would like to carry over some of the software that I have paid big buck to
    this new OS.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Google.
    http://www.google.co.jp/search?newwi...hp.uNBuWh8AjMc

As far as Windows programs go, they will not run on a Linux OS. You can try to run them in Wine, but not all programs work well. You can install Wine through Muon Software Center or Muon Package Manager. You can check WineHQ to read about other peoples luck with running your programs.

Comment

Worth reading:
      http://mylinuxbook.com/file-extensions-in-linux/
      http://linuxg.net/extensions-in-linux-and-unix/
      https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c..._linux?lang=en

For the most part, Linux doesn't care what extension a file has - or even if a file has no extension. The main purpose of file extensions in Linux is to give us squishy humans an idea of what type of file it is. As an example, let's say I've set my system up to open plain text files with the text editor called Kate; any text file I click on will open in Kate regardless of what that file's extension is.

For running Windows programs there is Wine, which is a compatibility layer (not an emulator) which allows you to install and run many (but by no means all) Windows programs. For programs that don't play nicely with Wine, the only options are to install the Windows OS onto a Virtual Machine such as VMware or VirtualBox and then install the program(s) into the virtualised Windows, or to have both Windows and Linux in a dual-boot setup.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

If you can post a little more details of what you were trying to accomplish, you'll get also more specific instructions-guidance-ideas.
        Welcome aboard and best wishes for your learning-exploring journey!
        Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
        nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
        eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

actually this is a great question from a person who is new to Linux.

"fiddle around" in the file structure until you find "home".

"fiddle around" until you find in the "window" a "search box".

enter into the search field the file extension for which you want to find a query.

NOTE, since you are "new" to Linux you may not actually HAVE any of the files with the extensions upon which you queried the gentle folks at this forum

If you hav not actually created said items with said file extensions...

Please right click on the desktop and you wil find an interactive box wherewith you may produce a variety of "stuff"

Find "something" that will produce a ".doc" or a ".txt". right click said thing

creat a somewhat word thing and save it as .doc or .txt.

Then repeat what was outlined above and search for .doc or .txt and

that will be your first introduction to just HOW EASY IT IS IN LINUX.

woodkindastupidsmoke

Comment

Wow, I love you guys already. NEVER, snd I mean NEVER have I gotten so excellent and quick repliesto my questions. And with such eager energy. Thanks all!

But, I have anotherquestion that I hope still goes in this post thread.
            1. If I need todownload OpenOffice (which I do-it reminds me of MS Office-only better) I needto know what type of version of programs do I download that will work withKubuntu OS? Meaning is there a
            specific type: IE.zip, rar, etc.

2. I am a baby in this OS. So I will have loads of questions. I am planning, or thinking heavily on switching over entirely to Linux. It is ALOT more stable then windows (lower case intended), and maybe a little help
            on how to unarchived the file. And any accompanying archive software that I should have to make the transition from one OS to this one?

Comment

LibreOffice is installed by default, but if you want to install OpenOffice it's in the repositories, so use Muon Software Center to install it. Because going to a website and downloading a .zip or .rar is the Windows way, you will seldom or never need to do that in Linux. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
              He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikius View Post
                on how to unarchived the file. And any accompanying archive software that I should have to make the transition from one OS to this one?
                "Ark" is the default archiver program and should be already installed on your system. Simply open the file browser (Dolphin) and click on the archive file. Ark should open automagically with your file's contents displayed for you with options for extracting. If you need various specific archive file types, open Muon and search for them. Pk7zip, rar, unrar, tar, etc. - they're all there.

One tip for Ark - I often get caught by a feature of Ark: When you have the archive contents displayed (a file list of what's inside the archive) and you click somewhere in the file list - like to scroll through it or whatever - as soon as you click on a filename, Ark switches from "Extract entire archive" to "Extract files from archive." I have occasionally extracted a single file accidentally instead of an entire archive.

Please Read Me

Comment

When I made the switch from Windows to Linux, I spent a while searching the web looking for Linux-native programs to replace the Windows programs that I had been using. Some programs were easy (such as the Firefox web browser and Thunderbird email client) because they had versions for both Windows and for Linux. For other programs that didn't have a Linux version, it was necessary to find a similar program for Linux and OSalt (the name stands for Open Source alternatives) was really useful for that.

One thing that really pleased me was not needing to find an anti-virus program for Linux. Having a tiny market share may mean that Linux gets ignored by large software makers... but it also means it's largely ignored by makers of malicious software too. When you add Linux's superior security model on top of that, it means that anti-virus software for Linux just isn't necessary (*).

(*) However, if you often transfer files between a Linux machine and a Windows machine, it may be worth installing a Linux program that checks for Windows malware (such as ClamAV) in order to protect said Windows machines.
                  Last edited by HalationEffect; Jun 20, 2013, 01:40 PM.
                  sigpic
                  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

BTW (and I think I speak for most of us here), most all of us started with linux dual-booting out of concern that leaving windows behind entirely wouldn't be possible. Once you get your feet wet, you'll find yourself going back to Windows less often until you eventually stop altogether.

Often the path is Dual-booting to Windows in a Virtual Machine to No Windows at all.

Once you get used to the joy of the speed, control, customization, cost-free (mostly), virus-free, etc., world of Linux you wouldn't go back if they paid you.

I do suggest going slow (you're on a big learning curve right now), searching/reading a lot, asking a lot of questions, and being patient with yourself and your new OS. Address one issue or enhancement at a time so you don't get jumbled up, and MAKE BACKUPS of anything important. ALL of us have trashed an install or wiped the wrong drive or whatever. I always have a bootable, tested USB stick around for when I break things.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      "Ark" is the default archiver program and should be already installed on your system.
                      Specifically for setting the p7zip switches to ultra compression, I've tested here J7Z and Peazip.
                      J7Z seems to have a problem with p7zip at raring and I filed a report.
                      Peazip has a 32bit DEB installer and a 64bit binary, so I installed the later.

If someone don't need the option for setting the compression at ultra-maximum etc. Ark is the better option I think.
                      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
                      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
                      nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
                      eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

LO is OO only better...go with LO
                        woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                        X