This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Server setup?

Am new to Linux. But I don't want to use windows server. for a small company I need a server setup basic files server and user account/security/access with a decent GUI can this be done with Kubuntu interface? what would I need to accomplish this? TY in advance

Yes, but depends on your needs. Personally, I find having a headless server is more reliable (no X graphics or desktop to break). Typically, once setup, one would hardly ever access a server unless you're using it for more than basic server duties. Mine doesn't even have a keyboard, mouse or monitor once initial installation is done.

My server does file sharing (NFS for linux machines and SAMBA for windows machines), DLNA server, torrent server, print server, scanner server, backup server. I haven't yet setup an email server, but that's in the future.

I access using an ssh terminal connection and via browser using Webmin. Once it's running, I do maintenance for about 2 minutes a week. Basically, I click on the Webmin bookmark on my browser, see if any updates are required, run the updater, reboot if necessary, done.

For shared file access, I put my NFS shares into fstab and so they appear in Dolphin, one click away. For deeper access into the root structure, I either ssh terminal or use Dolphin ssh browsing.

I used Ubuntu Server 12.04 because it's LTS (5 year support cycle) and you don't need bleeding edge on a server.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, what's "account/security/access" ?

Please Read Me

Comment

account/security/access

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        BTW, what's "account/security/access" ?
        What I mean is to setup users their names, what files/folders they have access to from the server (user rights)? TY

Comment

Oh, that's easy to set up. I assume you're in a primarily windows environment. If the server is your only Linux machine and you're only doing file sharing SAMBA is all you need. Access can be done in many ways. You can have shared directories with different levels of access if you need it and even support multiple domains.

Again, I would recommend no graphics server at all. Here's what I would do:

Download and install Ubuntu server to a thumb drive.
          Attach monitor and keyboard to server and install Ubuntu server from thumb drive, select only the components you need - SAMBA and ssh.
          Reboot to hard drive, setup internet connection, install webmin, update and reboot.

Then put the server on your network without monitor and keyboard. Learn how to setup and use a secure key for ssh and install ssh on your desktop machine. Configure Samba and restart it.

You could even build an updater script to install updates automatically and reboot the system on the weekends or shut it down every night if you like, whatever. Piece of cake.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X