This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot write to dvd 13.04

Having just installed kubuntu 13.04 I find the only hiccup is that I cannot write to my dvd using either k3b or brasero. When trying to write to the dvd disk, neither of the two aforementioned programs recognize the fact that there is a blank, writeable dvd in the drive. However, I can play a dvd that has, for instance, a video recorded on it. So, the dvd drive does work.

I have searched the forums for a similar problem, perhaps not with enough effort, and have found nothing of value. If anyone has a suggestion or two, then I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
    Dick Fell

Have you run the K3B config to make sure you have everything installed and configured properly? Sounds like a needed package or two might be missing.

Please Read Me

Comment

Like this one?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/dvd+rw-tools

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick replies. Following the suggestion above about configuratioin, the k3b config tool tells me that it, k3b, does not have write permission for the system device /dev/sr0. Here is a list of the permissions for the sr0 devices:

rfell@laver:/dev$ ls -l | grep sr0
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 12 16:04 cdrom -> sr0
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 12 16:04 dvd -> sr0
        brw-rw-rw-+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jun 12 16:04 sr0
        rfell@laver:/dev$

But it seems from the above that everyone has write permission. Not knowing what I am fully doing, it is best I ask for further device.

Again, thanks for the much needed help.

Comment

I agree that looks normal.

In K3B, go to Settings> Programs> Permissions (I think - I'm posting from memory as I'm not on my Linux machine at the moment - anyway, somewhere like that) and look at the permissions there. Also, there's a "Use burning group" option which I believe is off.

I'll look at my own later tonight and see what's different.

Please Read Me

Comment

I had a similar issue a few weeks back with k3b and found that what passes for mkisofs in kubuntu (genisoimage) was not running certain processes as root causing this issue. In the current kubuntu release mkisofs->genisoimage and cdrecord->wodim.

After much reading on the subject, I decided to download, compile, and replace genisoimage and wodim with the original cdrtools software (mkisofs and cdrecord) from Jorg Schilling. I haven't had any DVD burning issues since. If you'd care to read up on the issues, you can check out http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html for details of the differences between what currently passes for cdrtools in debian distributions and the real stuff. The latest version of cdrtools is available from Jorg Schillings site at http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html.

YMMV but it worked for me...

cheers,
            bill
            sigpic
            A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's one difference from your setup to mine:

Code:
              stuart@office:~$ ls -l /dev |grep sr0
              lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 cdrom -> sr0
              lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 cdrw -> sr0
              lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 dvd -> sr0
              lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 dvdrw -> sr0
              brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom      11,   0 Jun 11 17:19 sr0

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks to all that have responded. Adding sybmolic links as suggested by oshunluvr unfortuantely did not help matters. The suggestion to replace genisoimage and wodim perhaps is the way to go but a further question - if I were still try to use a gui interface such as k3b or brasero how would they know that mkisofs and cdrecord should now be used - perhaps a symbolic link such as /usr/bin/genisoimage -> /usr/bin/mkisofs, etc (I think I have the syntax correct).

Many thanks,
                Dick

Comment

If you check /usr/bin/mkisofs you'll see it is currently a symlink to genisoimage. Also /usr/bin/cdrecord is a symlink to wodim. If you decide to replace them with the original files from cdrtools, you can either make new symlinks to the location of the actual executable files, or replace the symlinks in /usr/bin with the executable files. I have done it both ways, however I prefered using symlinks to the image files generated by the 'make install' script (which puts the executables in /opt/schily/bin.) k3b references mkisofs and cdrecord so it seems to be happy either way.

cheers,
                  bill
                  sigpic

Comment

Bill -
                    Many thanks for your advice which I have followed. Unfortunately, k3b and brasero still will not recognize the device. I shall persevere.

Dick

Comment

Hi Dick,

You might give the following a look to check that your hardware has shown up and has the correct mapping. Here's a look at mine:

Code:
                      bweinel@excalibur:~$ sudo lshw -class disk
                        *-cdrom                 
                             description: DVD writer
                             product: DVDRW SOHW-1653S
                             vendor: LITE-ON
                             physical id: 0.0.0
                             bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
                             logical name: /dev/cdrom
                             logical name: /dev/cdrw
                             logical name: /dev/dvd
                             logical name: /dev/dvdrw
                             logical name: /dev/sr0
                             version: CS0T
                             capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
                             configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
                        *-disk
                             description: ATA Disk
                             product: ST31500341AS
                             vendor: Seagate
                             bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
                             logical name: /dev/sda
                             version: CC1H
                             serial: 9VS1YD5Q
                             size: 1397GiB (1500GB)
                             capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                             configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=0008fcb2
                      From there you should be able to verify that the system sees your drive. As oshunluvr also said earlier, check your /dev directory for the correct mapping to the device and permissions. Here's how mine looks:

Code:
                      bweinel@excalibur:~$ ls -l /dev |grep sr0
                      lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Jun 17 09:39 cdrom -> sr0
                      lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Jun 17 09:39 cdrw -> sr0
                      lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Jun 17 09:39 dvd -> sr0
                      lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Jun 17 09:39 dvdrw -> sr0
                      brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    11,   0 Jun 17 09:39 sr0
                      cheers,
                      bill
                      sigpic

Comment

Bill -
                        Thank you very much for your help and patience. The output for your cdrom explains the difficulty I am having. My dvd is not writeable, only readable, the output for my system being
                        *-cdrom
                        description: DVD reader
                        product: DVD-ROM DH-16D6S
                        vendor: PLDS
                        bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
                        logical name: /dev/cdrom
                        logical name: /dev/cdrw
                        logical name: /dev/dvd
                        logical name: /dev/dvdrw
                        logical name: /dev/sr0
                        version: BD11
                        capabilities: removable audio dvd
                        configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

I apologize for taking up your time with what turns out to be an inane question. On the bright side, humility is one of the virtues and I now get to practice it.

Dick

Comment

Hey... no problem Dick. That's what we're all here for... The only truly silly question is the one you didn't think to ask.

cheers,
                          bill
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Here's one difference from your setup to mine:

Code:
                            stuart@office:~$ ls -l /dev |grep sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 cdrom -> sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 cdrw -> sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 dvd -> sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root             3 Jun 11 17:19 dvdrw -> sr0
                            brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom      11,   0 Jun 11 17:19 sr0
                            Mine looks like this:
                            peter@pjj:~$ ls -l /dev |grep sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 24 10:41 cdrom2 -> sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 24 10:41 cdrw2 -> sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 24 10:41 dvd2 -> sr0
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 24 10:41 dvdrw2 -> sr0
                            brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jun 24 10:41 sr0

And I have all files listed as necessary for kb3 to run properly. But it looks like I also have the bad fork:
                            cdrecord -version
                            Cdrecord-yelling-line-to-tell-frontends-to-use-it-like-version 2.01.01a03-dvd
                            Wodim 1.1.11
                            Copyright (C) 2006 Cdrkit suite contributors
                            Based on works from Joerg Schilling, Copyright (C) 1995-2006, J. Schilling

After all my bad experiences with compiling anything I am reluctant to do some more of it just to get kb3 to work.

Is there any work-around that does not involve this method:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

If yes, I would like to know, please.

Comment

Working...
                            X