X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sytem health check - kukbutu 13.04

Hi everyone,
    because I just learning Linux and wanted to know is my system hasn't been affected by my dummy one-click-to-far or one-command-to-much, etc. I wish to check health of my Kubuntu 13.04.
    I found information on the web about fsck, so ctrl+alt+t and I typing fsck for general check and there's big warning about one-step-from killing my machine: the filesystem is mounted. if you continue you will cause severe filesystem damage . Of course I pressing 'n' for no but... Typing just fsck should be command for general check (and fix). I need some advice of how to or good guide or maybe there's another way to keep my Kubuntu in top condition.

... oh this newbies...

Many thanks,
    Kubuntu 13.04 on Laptop Toshiba P300-20H, CPU: T3400 2.16Mhz intel dualcore, RAM: 2Gb, 2xHDD250Gb

Sooooooo, you're new to linux and you're already deciding what should be what? Here's a suggestion: If a programmer takes the time to include a warning in his software - listen!

Seriously - Linux is not windows. Don't get caught up in de-fragging or anti-virus software or constant file system checking. One too many clicks isn't going to trash your hard drive. I suggest you spend some time reading instead of acting. Welcome to the Linux world! Don't be afraid - we don't want your money!

Please Read Me

Comment

fsck is a powerful tool (and those can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing). If a disk is mounted during a check, data can be read/written/moved during a check (even if you are not "doing" anything) and that can be rather fatal. You can't unmount system filesystems on a running system, though (these are required for operation...although you can work around that by booting a livecd, for example...and perform fscks on unmounted disk filesystem).

You don't generally need to perform fsck manually (unless there is an identifiable problem with the filesystem)...fscks will be run automatically on boot every 30 mounts or after a certain period of time (whichever comes first), you can also force a fsck on the next boot with the command:
      Code:
      sudo touch /forcefsck
      (this will create an empty file "forcefsck" on the root directory, which will be noticed by the boot process to run fsck...I haven't used that in a while, so I assume this still works. I can't be 100% sure, though)

Comment

READ DOCUMENTATION BEFORE YOU BEGIN I've seen that many times - so truthful. Slow down and take better look on what you're doing and what you are using. In Linux good basis and little more patient will pay off later on. To much windows in my head, detoxification will take some time...
        Although, referring to the title: if I want to keep my Linux in tickety-boo condition, do simple sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove will do the job?

P.S. I'll hold with this fsck till I know exactly what and how...
        Kubuntu 13.04 on Laptop Toshiba P300-20H, CPU: T3400 2.16Mhz intel dualcore, RAM: 2Gb, 2xHDD250Gb

Comment

Those commands will keep your system up-to-date. You might add sudo apt-get clean to the end of the list (it removes downloaded packages).

As far as fsck goes. I've never run it except the automated runs that occur at boot time and I don't power down or reboot unless there has been a kernel/driver change. Point being, unless and until you actually have some sort of corruption, I know of no good reason to mess with it. The system auto-runs are sufficient IMO. If you really just have to try it out, the method kubicle detailed is the least difficult way to do it.

Just guessing here - but you're chomping at the bit trying to sink your teeth into some new "Linux" stuff, right? :cool: In no way would I discourage that! If you want to have some "fun with partitions and file systems" there's plenty to do.

What are some basic details of your hardware? Many of us post our specs in our forum sigs so others can get the low-down. Point is, if you're using a desktop and have multiple hard drives, you can play with RAID and various filesystems to enhance your system a bit and learn new skills.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X