X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdesudo vs. sudo

Hi guys,
    would someone tell me why and when should I use kdesudo while on kubuntu. I found this tip or direction few times but I don't really know why is so improtatnt and when should I use it... seems to not fully work for update or installation nor adding ppa...

Thanks
    Kubuntu 13.04 on Laptop Toshiba P300-20H, CPU: T3400 2.16Mhz intel dualcore, RAM: 2Gb, 2xHDD250Gb

There is an explanation here: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

kdesudo is for when activating a GUI (graphical interface) program with superuser privilege.
      Example: kdesudo kate /etc/fstab to use kate to edit your fstab.

sudo is for when activating a non-GUI (or command line interface) program with superuser privilege.
      Example: sudo apt-get update to update package lists.

kdesudo generally won't work if you use it to launch a non-GUI program. sudo generally will work to launch a GUI program but will very likely cause file ownership problems in your home folder if you do so.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you guys, now it's clear like.
        I switch to kubuntu few days ago and though it has something to do with KDE it self, but it is more like general rule.
        Cheers
        Kubuntu 13.04 on Laptop Toshiba P300-20H, CPU: T3400 2.16Mhz intel dualcore, RAM: 2Gb, 2xHDD250Gb

Comment

Working...
        X