This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to 13 dbus problem - no KDE login

I upgraded from 12.10 to 13.04 via the CD. I get a "thumbnail" image in the lower right-hand corner of the screen saying "AMD Unsupported hardware" (HP dv7t-4000 CTO which has been running kubuntu a long time). When I try to log on KDE plasma, I get the message in a x-window "Could not start D-bus. Can you call qdbus?" When I hit "okay" then I get dumped back to the login desktop. I can log in with the Ubuntu option (but something isn't working right) - KDE won't log in.

I don't like that "AMD unsupported hardware" message. Did I somehow download the wrong DVD version? Is there a reinstall fix? I don't want to loose my data, so a format/reinstall isn't possible.

Thank You,
    Patti
    Last edited by PattiMichelle; Jun 08, 2013, 11:50 AM.

Helping us to help you: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...W-GUY-lt-lt-lt

Maybe/earlier:

DBus problem: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...grade-to-13-04
    AMD unsupported hardware: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...essage-overlay
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply!
      Yep, saw those but I can't get *on* the system. The little x-window that pops up does not accept my input. How do I get the correct dbus installed? Reinstall from the DVD? (Is the distro dvd broke?)

Patti

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is if I do a reinstall, will it leave my home directory intact? If I reinstall other Linux distros, I am often asked by the installer if I want to keep the existing home directory, but I have not tried this with the Kubuntu installer. I also have a couple of directories added to /usr/local. I assume as long as I don't reformat, then these will remain? All my changes are via .cshrc and .bashrc files, so the system should be ok without a reformat <<wondering?>> :^/

Thank You Very Much
      Patricia
      Last edited by PattiMichelle; Jun 08, 2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

It depends on whether you have your /home on a separate partition. If you do, then it will be preserved unless you specifically direct that it be formatted. If however, you have your /home on the same partition as the root ( / ), then an installation will wipe everything with a format. If that is the case, then you would want to make a backup of the /home directory before you begin.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you - I thought that might be true - the installer does not detect and offer to use. :-/ I will use some other distro to make a backup of /home (it is in the same partition). I tried using the 13.04 disk and it did not seem to want to mount my hard drive.

The last time I did this was in Lindows (a.k.a Linspire) - with

~/> tar -czvf /home/patti bakup.tgz

...after logging in as root. Untarring was also done as root, then the next
          time the user logs in, it's all back to norbal. Not sure how Kubuntu handles
          root logins. I guess I'd have to make a second user account, then do it via
          "sudo" (or "sudo su") from there...
          Last edited by PattiMichelle; Jun 08, 2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Ah, it looks like /home was also encrypted! I was able to get logged in through Gnome Fallback and do "sudo apt-get install qdbus:amd64" - then after logging out, and logging back in, it's back to normal. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Is there a good way to analyze/refresh a system to make sure everything's installed correctly? I have no idea how qdbus got borked, but maybe there is something else which will show up later...

Comment

Originally posted by PattiMichelle View Post
              Is there a good way to analyze/refresh a system to make sure everything's installed correctly?
              That kinda depends on what "everything" means. To make sure your package management system and all installed packages are free of errors, you can issue:

Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              If you get no output at all, and just a return to the prompt, then that is your indication that there are no problems with dpkg or your installed packages.

As far as knowing whether all of the kubuntu-desktop packages are installed, you can examine that list with

Code:
              sudo apt-cache show kubuntu-desktop
              and compare it to your installed package list which you can view with

Code:
              sudo dpkg -l | most

Comment

Wow - what a phenomenally powerful code fragment!! I couldn't get xvidcap to work anywhere near half-reliability - but this worked like a charm!
                Code:
                ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -f x11grab -r 15 -s 1920x1200 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264  -threads 0 output.avi
                I am using 12.1 and your fragment threw a couple of errors, so I removed the two bits that were related, is all I did...
                Thank you for sharing your knowledge
                Patricia

Comment

Working...
                X