This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firmware settings best mobo UEFI legacy

I'm posting this here for the "new folks". ....and, of course, for the "OLD folks"....I just KNOW that I am going to get flack for THAT! lol

A question to the Kubuntu community who have so done.

What mobo did YOU use... that had UEFI.... and were able to do the "legacy mode" boot, and PARTICULARLY what "keystrokes" did you do for your PARTICULAR mobo? give SPECIFICS for people perusing the forum about mobos.

This ensuing from the following statement from Steve Riley, and my local hardware store:

It's a firmware configuration. Press whatever key combination is necessary to launch your firmware settings after you boot the computer. Look for something like "legacy mode," "BIOS mode," "compatibility service mode/module," or "CSM."
    waitingwithabatedbreathsmoke

I use asus sabertooth x79; for ubuntu installing with default settings in uefi mode works grate, but one can disable uefi via "compatibility service mode/module," or "CSM and if needed secure boot can be disable to. the steps are covered in the manual. This mobo is linux friendly 1+ but asus have
    a special vendor qualified list, hardware compatibility is less -1.

1. press delete when booting up
    2. enter advance mode
    3. click on the boot tab (with mouse or keyboard)
    3. enter CSM sub menu
    4. set to auto to be able to boot in legacy mode or chose "legacy first then uefi"/"legacy only" for the boot method you use.

fedora suggest disable fast boot when installing it didn't seem to make any different for me. It's under the boot tab to; so is secure boot
    sub menu.

Comment

Originally posted by marbangens View Post
      fedora suggest disable fast boot when installing it didn't seem to make any different for me. It's under the boot tab to; so is secure boot
      sub menu.
      Matthew Garrett explains.

tl;dr -- with Fast Boot enabled, peripherals aren't initialized until after the operating system loads. On a computer with Windows 8 pre-installed and Fast Boot enabled, you will not be able to press the key sequence to interrupt the boot process because the USB won't initialize until later.

Comment

Thanks guys, I feel rather confident now that I can build a new machine with minimal hicckuppage! lol

And also I think that your answers will be very helpful to folks who want to build their own systems or install on a device they buy at the store.

wood smoke

Comment

Working...
        X