• Show
Clear All

How do I fix broken packages?

Using kubuntu 13.04 desktop
    How to fix broken packages
    Example:
    I am trying to compile super-karamba
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba:i386 plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba : Conflicts: plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba:i386 but 4:4.10.2-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
     plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba:i386 : Depends: kde-runtime:i386 but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libkde3support4:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libkdecore5:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libkdeui5:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libkio5:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libknewstuff2-4:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libkrosscore4:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libplasma3:i386 (>= 4:4.10.2) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libqimageblitz4:i386 (>= 1:0.0.4) but it is not going to be installed
      Conflicts: plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba but 4:4.10.2-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    I am at a loss on how to correct this – any suggestions would be appreciated!

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
    I am trying to compile super-karamba
    Umm...Why? :P (The answer to this might actually help to get a better answer for your problem)

You seem to be trying to install conflicting binary (already compiled) packages for 386 and amd64 architectures?

To compile software, you need the source and it's build-depends (build tools and necessary development libraries)

Comment

Thanks for your speedy reply!
      I am a relative NEW GUY – sorry, but haven't a clue what you are talking about.
      All I know is that my computer system is amd64 architecture.
      I am using kubuntu amd64 version. On my previous kubuntu 13.04 desktop installation,
      super-karamba installed perfectly using the same procedure. Now it isn't.
      So in simple terms, can I fix this problem, or not?

Comment

Right, so you're not trying compile but to install?

Try:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba

Comment

Code:
          bumpy@Bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get install plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba
          [sudo] password for bumpy: 
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba is already the newest version.
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          bumpy@Bumpyputer:~$
          So how do I find it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
            So how do I find it?
            You could just run "superkaramba", but in KDE4 you don't need to run it directly...you can use superkaramba widgets straight in plasma:
            Right-click on desktop > unlock widgets (if locked)>Right-click on desktop > add widgets > Click get new widgets in the widget selector > install local widget > Choose Superkaramba widget > find the superkaramba widget file you want > install.

After installation the superkaramba widget should be available from the add widget selector just like native plasma widgets (although you may need to restart plasma for it to become available)

Comment

Karamba

K-Menu > Applications > Utilities > Desktop Widgets (SuperKaramba)

Earlier:

- http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post321453
              - http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...t-Superkaramba
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I'd still run the superkaramba widgets through plasma rather than standalone superkaramba (the app)...that way you don't need to have superkaramba running to show the widgets and the widgets integrate better with the plasma-desktop (like respecting the widget lock/unlock setting)

Comment

Thanks for the help. Am not messing with this anymore. Closing this thread.

Comment

I have totally reinstalled kubuntu 12.10, updated to 13.04 & am not in the mood to mess with this anymore - the Walking Cat is toast!!
                    Thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I have reinstalled kubuntu 13.04 & decided to not mess with this anymore - the Walking Cat (superkaramba) is toast for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X