This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE upgrade (and uprgrades in gen)

I had a couple of questions first. how do you tell witch version of KDE you have. and before i go into the next question i read in the documentation on how to upgrade to the latest KDE and it wasn't enough for me. So here's my question on upgrading. do i have to use the apt-get and the add a link to the depository. or is there a way to download the files manually and then install them. then maybe use the apt-get and grab dependencies. furthermore if i have to use the apt-get command can i use it in a manor that lets me save it and package it as a deb file so i can install it later with out the net. I don't like the net to be my only opt to config and upgrade my system. especially in the case for the need for a re-install. because i need to re-install all the time. not because the system inst rock solid but because I'm trying to learn it in side and out, like you guys do.

Re: KDE upgrade (and uprgrades in gen)

1. To tell which KDE version you are running, just go to the Help menu of any KDE app, and click on "About KDE".

2. You can either use apt-get (command line) or Adept (graphical interface).

3. I think this a bit more complicated than it seems. The reason why we, in the Linux world, use something like APT (Adept is just a GUI that uses APT, and apt-get is the command line for APT) is to make sure that dependencies are resolved. This is specially important when doing upgrades to KDE, where there are cases where some packages must be removed. A concrete example would be upgrading to KDE 3.5.4, which removes the kdelibs-bin packages, because it has been replaced by kdelibs4c2.

It's possible to just download the .deb packages for upgrading, then install them using dpkg, but dpkg, unlike APT, does not resolve dependencies for you. You have to know what the dependencies are. Another possible solution is to put all the needed packages into a CD, then add that CD as a repository (apt-cdrom add), so that it would work as an offline repository of sorts.

However, knowing which packages to download can be quite tricky, because you will not always know if you actually missed a package, unless you download EVERYTHING.

Just my opinion, which may not be 100% accurate.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

when i first came to linux i didnt like the command line however i think the command line version of apt is better then the gui one thats just me but it seems to make more sense. but alright i guess im on the right track then. thanks man

Comment

Look at it this way, the Linux command line is like DOS on steroids, or actually the opposite; DOS was originally, a watered down version of the Unix command shell. When Windoze was first introdiuced, one of the principal arguments for its adoption was that "Yes, it's less powerful, but it requires less training than DOS." The power of the GUI has increased significantly since those days, but it's still less powerful than the command line.

Comment

Working...
        X