Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to permanently block a site that keeps trying to enter my computer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to permanently block a site that keeps trying to enter my computer?

I do not trust nor like much that concerns facebook. It is the most intrusive and greedy website on the internet.

There are so many ways the company has found its way into everyone's computer through other commercial users that it is difficult to get free from them.

One of their intrusive web applications is "fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net" without the quotes.

I would like to make my computer block this site, like a virus, from my system. Is it possible? Thanks for the help.:mad:

You can do this in your router settings. Access the interface for your router and poke around a little and you should find a place to block specific web addresses. In my router, you can also choose to block an address for far a specific device on the lan or for all devices on the lan.

Comment

Thanks Detonate. You have the perfect username for my problem.
      Originally posted by Detonate View Post
      You can do this in your router settings. Access the interface for your router and poke around a little and you should find a place to block specific web addresses. In my router, you can also choose to block an address for far a specific device on the lan or for all devices on the lan.

Comment

I believe you can use your /etc/hosts file as well. Add this to it:

Code:
        # Block Facebook
        127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
        127.0.0.1 facebook.com
        127.0.0.1 static.ak.fbcdn.net
        127.0.0.1 www.static.ak.fbcdn.net
        127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com
        127.0.0.1 www.login.facebook.com
        127.0.0.1 fbcdn.net
        127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.net
        127.0.0.1 fbcdn.com
        127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.com
        127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
        127.0.0.1 www.static.ak.connect.facebook.com

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmmm....

KID: "Dad, Facebook isn't working!"

DAD: "What about Google or Wikipedia or those game sites you like?"

KID: "They're fine. Just Facebook. Nothing loads."

DAD: "Sounds like a Facebook problem."

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Comment

Others have answered your question directly, but there are lots of very similar intrusions. I suggest using a NoScript add-on for a while to become aware of this, but I find it hard work, watching what I should block and allowing what I need for pages to function. I'll move to DoNotTrackMe soon, I think.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

http://Akamai Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Akamai is probably not as bad as some, they have a real function where large quantities of content need to be delivered.
              Of course, as a security conscious person you'd never have anything to do with Facebook and in that case you have every reason to block the site from the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                I believe you can use your /etc/hosts file as well. Add this to it:

Code:
                # Block Facebook
                127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
                127.0.0.1 facebook.com
                127.0.0.1 static.ak.fbcdn.net
                127.0.0.1 www.static.ak.fbcdn.net
                127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com
                127.0.0.1 www.login.facebook.com
                127.0.0.1 fbcdn.net
                127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.net
                127.0.0.1 fbcdn.com
                127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.com
                127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
                127.0.0.1 www.static.ak.connect.facebook.com
                I copied and pasted the code you recommended in /etc/hosts . I hope this is following your advice accurately. I am in inexperienced in editing root files. Hope that terminology is correct. Thanks my west-coast friend. :cool:

Comment

If you wish to block the site on a specific computer, uses the hosts file as suggested above, but using your router settings to block a site will block it for all devices on your lan if that is what you wish to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X