This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary Monitor not working

I have 2 monitors, both are Dell UltraSharp U2312HM. I was previously using both as an extended desktop in Windows 7, and it was working great. Well, except the windows part... but that's another story.

I am running kubuntu 13.04 64-bit, and my secondary monitor is not working at all. It is "on" but only black. I can switch the monitor cables in the graphics card (Sapphire Radeon 7870 Ghz edition) and both monitors can work as the primary, but I have no secondary still. I have gone into System Settings -> Display and Monitor and messed with every setting I can think of (moving the 2 screens around, turning off and on, changing primary, rotating, changing size) and nothing changes. As of last night, if I turned the secondary off via that screen, it does go from black "on" to black "off". Then I installed my graphics card drivers (my bad... that was hard to find!), and the Display and Monitor window went from labeling them as "*0" and "*1" (Not sure what the letters were, I was not taking notes) to "DFP6" and "DFP7". Now I cannot get the secondary to light up, or the computer to open things on another screen. When the computer is booting up, the motherboard screen AND the kubuntu log-in screen are on both monitors still.

I have no idea why it's not working. I could really use help =)

Kubuntu 13.04 64-bit
    Kubuntu is the only OS installed
    KDE 4.10.2
    Legacy version of Grub

CPU- Intel Quad-Core 3.4 GHz
    GPU- Sapphire Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition
    RAM- 8Gb
    HDs- SSD for Root (120 Gb) and Hard disk drive for Home (1Tb)

I have some problems with my new dual monitor Radeon setup right now too. Have you installed Catalyst? If not, I think you have to go to the AMD ATI site for drivers and help. When I did that, I got two stable monitors. It works a bit different from when I had an nVidia card, so I am working that problem right now.

With my two screens, they each act as a separate computer, but the mouse still passes from screen to screen. I am unable to drag work from screen to screen like I was able when the nVidia card was in my system. That is the problem I am working right now.

I am pretty sure I have given you the solution to your problem, at least to the extent that you should have two working monitors.

I am not sure, but I think '0' is for your primary monitor and '1' is for your second. I believe that when working with computers, zero is considered a number and represents the first number when identifying things. Then 1, being next in line, would be actually considered 2 or the second.

By the way, my OS is an AMD eight core, so Intel may work differently, but I it wasn't until I went to the AMD site for help getting Catalyst installed that I got things to work more or less stablely. It did surprist me that AMD had support for Linux, though. Kind of new and very nice.

I put in the extra info about my current problem, in case my suggestion put you in contact with the solution to the bigger problem. And if my other problem exists for you, you will know that it too is being worked on.:cool:
    Originally posted by hypermice View Post
    I have 2 monitors, both are Dell UltraSharp U2312HM. I was previously using both as an extended desktop in Windows 7, and it was working great. Well, except the windows part... but that's another story.

I am running kubuntu 13.04 64-bit, and my secondary monitor is not working at all. It is "on" but only black. I can switch the monitor cables in the graphics card (Sapphire Radeon 7870 Ghz edition) and both monitors can work as the primary, but I have no secondary still. I have gone into System Settings -> Display and Monitor and messed with every setting I can think of (moving the 2 screens around, turning off and on, changing primary, rotating, changing size) and nothing changes. As of last night, if I turned the secondary off via that screen, it does go from black "on" to black "off". Then I installed my graphics card drivers (my bad... that was hard to find!), and the Display and Monitor window went from labeling them as "*0" and "*1" (Not sure what the letters were, I was not taking notes) to "DFP6" and "DFP7". Now I cannot get the secondary to light up, or the computer to open things on another screen. When the computer is booting up, the motherboard screen AND the kubuntu log-in screen are on both monitors still.

I have no idea why it's not working. I could really use help =)

Kubuntu 13.04 64-bit
    Kubuntu is the only OS installed
    KDE 4.10.2
    Legacy version of Grub

CPU- Intel Quad-Core 3.4 GHz
    GPU- Sapphire Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition
    RAM- 8Gb
    HDs- SSD for Root (120 Gb) and Hard disk drive for Home (1Tb)
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 24, 2013, 04:58 PM. Reason: missed a letter

Comment

Working...
    X