This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing UNITY on Kubuntu 13.10

Hi, I just got Kubuntu, however, not particularly liking KDE, I would like to change to Uniry. I have seen how to do it in 12.10 but they don't seem to work? Please help.

Wrong forum.

Please Read Me

Comment

I would just do a fresh Ubuntu install.
      You might want to ask on Ubuntu forums....Im guessing that people here dont know much about Unity.
      http://ubuntuforums.org

Comment

Tell a bit more

Installing UNITY on Kubuntu 13.10
        The Ubuntu Saucy Salamander, 13.10, will be released: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/SaucySalama...eleaseSchedule
        October 17th FinalRelease Ubuntu 13.10
        Naming/releases:
        - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames
        - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I have seen how to do it in 12.10 but they don't seem to work?
        Earlier: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-Kubuntu-12-10

What is the problem ?
        How are you trying to install ?

At here - 13.04 - Installation simulation:

Log of sudo apt-get install -s unity
        Fri May 24 11:26:38 2013

Reading package lists...
        Building dependency tree...
        Reading state information...
        0 upgraded, 268 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
        Last edited by Rog131; May 24, 2013, 02:39 AM.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I thought the whole point of using Kubuntu was KDE. If you do not like KDE, wouldn't you simply use Ubuntu which comes with Unity already integrated?

-- Smittie

Comment

Originally posted by ssmith View Post
            I thought the whole point of using Kubuntu was KDE. If you do not like KDE, wouldn't you simply use Ubuntu which comes with Unity already integrated?

-- Smittie
            Exactly!

That's why I said "Wrong Forum." We've even had requests from people wanting to know how to remove Kubuntu and install Windows - the nerve!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              We've even had requests from people wanting to know how to remove Kubuntu and install Windows - the nerve!
              Probably doesn't help that one of the admins here is a crazy ex-'Softie who keeps answering Windows-related questions. Maybe it's out of some sense of deranged pity, I dunno.

Comment

It's just your big ol' heart, eh Steve?

Maybe it's time to lock step with us KDE pychos!

Please Read Me

Comment

Hah. KDE, FTW. I mentioned in our recent OpenSUSE thread that I had installed GNOME, just for kicks. Well, kick it I did -- right off my hard drive. Bleh. Double plus ungood bleh.

Actually, I wiped the entire partition. I figure, if it's time to learn something different, why not really get my hands dirty and delve into Arch? So that's what I did. Still running KDE, of course. But wow -- after the move to systemd, Arch has become a whole lot easier to set up. Still a fair amount of manual package installation, but not nearly the amount of config file hand editing that was required previously.

Comment

How's it run? Faster than Kubuntu?

Basically, I moved to Kubuntu because: Fairly up-to-date packages, sheer volume of available packages, debian packaging.

I'm sort of over eye-candy and my abilities have moved beyond being afraid of manual config editing.

Always HATED gnome because I felt - even ten years ago - it was too locked-down and dumbed-down.

I tried Chakra a few years ago, but I didn't feel it was ready for prime time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Arch gets new stuff even faster than Kubuntu -- and that's saying something, as Kubuntu itself is pretty quick.

Arch packaging appears less sophisticated than Debian. But that could be because I'm simply not as intimately familiar with it as I am with dpkg. My general impression is that there's less of an urge to mark stuff as dependencies. Regarding package quantity, the standard reps plus AUR appear to have everything covered.

The damn distro sure is fast though. On my T520, rEFInd-to-login wastes seven full seconds of my life!

The thing I'm most intrigued by is the rolling-release nature. You install the OS precisely once. Then forever after, sudo pacman -Syu relentlessly marches you forward. But, you gotta remember to install sudo first, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        How's it run? Faster than Kubuntu?

Basically, I moved to Kubuntu because: Fairly up-to-date packages, sheer volume of available packages, debian packaging.

I'm sort of over eye-candy and my abilities have moved beyond being afraid of manual config editing.

Always HATED gnome because I felt - even ten years ago - it was too locked-down and dumbed-down.

I tried Chakra a few years ago, but I didn't feel it was ready for prime time.
                        Yes. Most definitely. I haven't found another distro that feels as fast as Arch though I have not yet tried Gentoo. Sabayon felt faster but it was bloated and I never used it long enough to build up a long term impression so I'll give Arch the prize.

Package management on Arch is very different to any other distro. Its quite nice and the number of packages in the main repos is a tad disappointing but when you count in the AUR its a match for even Debian. The rolling release nature of the distro is great, and everything always feels new and fresh. If you have limited bandwidth then Arch is an expensive distro to have. It is, from experience, the second fastest distro to get a new KDE release. First is usally openSUSE, second is usually Arch or Slackware (if Alien Bob isn't busy) and then Kubuntu. That being said, all of them usually have the latest KDE within 2 to 3 days.

In terms of manual config editing. It's not really that bad once installed. Its quite a bit in the beginning but there are some great walkthroughs available. The documentation in Arch is second to none. Really, Arch documentation is what I default to for almost any distro.

Its a fun distro but it is a high maintenance distro. If you are willing to put the time in, its the distro that most uniquely feels like your own.

Comment

I have installed Manjaro Xfce on a spare partition on my laptop because, despite all the help i got from whatthefunk in another post regarding HDMI sound issues, it is still very flaky. No such thing with Manjaro, it works, first time, every time.
                          The desktop is a bit boring and needed some jazzing up with Cairo dock and the likes, but apart from that, it boots up and shuts down very, very fast, no doubt helped by the SSD.I did try the KDE version, but ran into the same sound problems and their implementation of KDE is nothing like Kubuntu's. What it would be like on a day to day basis, i don't know as i only use it when i am hooked up to the TV to watch a movie. Another thing i noticed, is that when you got your ssh server set up, it streams automaticaly from my desktop to my laptop with VLC. That is something i never managed to do with Kubuntu. Probably something not configured properly, but no configuration required at all with Manjaro. Just klick and watch.
                          Last edited by GerardV; May 30, 2013, 11:13 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I too suggest a fresh install of Ubuntu. I tried running Unity and KDE side by side (KDE installed first) and while it wasn't a complete disaster I cannot recommend it :P

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

The thing I'm most intrigued by is the rolling-release nature. You install the OS precisely once. Then forever after, sudo pacman -Syu relentlessly marches you forward. But, you gotta remember to install sudo first, heh.
                              I like this idea of the rolling release, but having to learn the ends and outs of a completely new command set doesn't thrill me. Not only the command set, but also the architecture as well. Where all the config files are, upstart differences, and the list goes on. The Arch community is well versed and educated in their distro.
                              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                              X